New Lounger
    Thanks

Win7 Nondestructive Reinstall Fails - Need Help Please

Hello,

I have Win7 Ultimate 64-bit and cannot complete a no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall, following Fred Langa's instructions. Here is the message showing the issues:

________
    No code has to be inserted here.

• You can’t upgrade 64-bit Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 64-bit version of the installation disc, or go online to see how to install Windows 7 and keep your files and settings.
    • 32-bit Windows cannot be upgraded to a 64-bit version of Windows. To upgrade, obtain a 32-bit version of the Windows installation disc.

No code has to be inserted here.

• These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.

• System devices: Kernel USB Software Bus by TCP
      • Network adapters: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter
      • Network adapters: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter #2

______

Is the 32- vs. 64-bit information standard boilerplate? If it isn't, I always picked the 64-bit reinstall.

Regarding the devices/adapters information, I disabled the two network adapters and retried the reinstall, but received the same message (sans the two network adapters).

Icannot locate the Kernel USB Software Bus by TCP, under System Devices or USB Controllers. I also ran a 'driverquery' via Command Prompt, but didn't see that driver in the list. ???

My vendor-supplied disc has Win7 SP1. I chose to get any available important updates for installation and I chose the Upgrade installation, but the install never actually commences and I get the report.

Can you help me?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Thanks
    It would appear that your installation bit-ness does not match your installation media bit-ness. For repair/reinstall, you can only use the same bit-ness. If your installation is 32bit, then you can only use 32bit installation media. If your installation is 64bit, then you can only use 64bit media.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe my post wasn't clear. I always chose the 64-bit and my OS is 64-bit.

Thanks
    "Dirty" installs are never a sure thing; many work, many do not [rollbacks]. My two previous attempts failed. Now, when a MS tech did it over the phone & modem -- that one worked, go figure. If I run across anything that will help, I'll post such this evening.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mzinkan View Post
    My vendor-supplied disc has Win7 SP1. I chose to get any available important updates for installation and I chose the Upgrade installation, but the install never actually commences and I get the report.
    Are you certain that your vendor-supplied disc is 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1? I'm assuming that the OS came pre-installed, and the disc was included in your purchase. Also, if you upgraded to Ultimate after your purchase, and your vendor-supplied disc is Professional or Home, that disc will not perform a repair/reinstall for Ultimate.

Properties.PNG
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My laptop came with 64-bit pre-installed and the supplied disc has ALL versions of Win7 and you choose either a 32- or 64-bit installation during the "upgrade" process. In fact, I recently installed a clean install of 64-bit on my laptop this month, as my GPU had gone bad. I installed a new GPU this week and then loaded a backup. Now I would like to do the no-format, nondesctructive install.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you booting up with the install disk or doing it like this http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mzinkan View Post
    My laptop came with 64-bit pre-installed and the supplied disc has ALL versions of Win7 and you choose either a 32- or 64-bit installation during the "upgrade" process.
    A repair/reinstall done properly will not ask you to choose 32bit or 64bit. It will already know which to use based on the existing installation.

Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15:
    I am not booting up with the install disk. I am choosing the exe off the CD while Windows is running and I am using Fred Langa's instructions, which are essentially the same as the ones on sevenforums.

bbearren:
    My disk lists both 32- and 64-bit installs as choices, but it automatically has the 64-bit highlighted. My disk WILL do repair installs.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think the Kernal USB Software will be part of the Chipset drivers - Video drivers if AMD.

Wonder if Event Viewer recorded anything on the install fail ?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problem solved

Hi Folks,
    I tried it again yesterday afternoon and it worked.
    I don't know why.
    THANKS for your assistance!
    Mike