Thread: Lost files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Lost files

This is the issue.
    A colleague sent me a file by email. I opened the email - then opened the Word file in the email - without first saving to a folder. Before doing anything else I did a 'save as' and added 'peter' to the front of the file name - my normal way of working. Then I made tons of changes - about five hours worth - saving from time to time as I went.
    At no time did I shut the machine down so did this work over a couple of days and at all times I was working on the 'peter' prefixed doc. On Friday night I closed down and when it came to the 'peter' doc I was asked 'do you want to save?' and Ic licked 'Yes'
    Saturday morning came and we couldn't find the doc anywhere.

Having used my limited powers, we asked a local friend - not a techie person but more computer familiar than me. He says the file will be in a hidden folder - but he couldn't find it after two hours of searching.

I now know I should have saved to a file before doing anything - but the question is, do you think there is a chance that the file with all my work on still exists somewhere and do you have any ideas as to how I can locate it.
    We are on W7 and MS Office 2000 and use Outlook to mange emails.
    Hoping someone can help
    Peter
    Last edited by brinton; 2015-04-19 at 05:32. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Peter,

What I'd try is if you still have the email.

1. Reopen the file from the email.
    2. Click Save (don't actually save it).
    3. Now look where the file will be stored in the save dialog.
    4. Cancel out.
    5. Navigate to that folder and the file will probably be there.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you open Word and try Recent Documents (or whatever similar option is available in Word 2000), isn't the file in the list?
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Tnx for getting involved RG
    I did what you suggested and it quoted a file OLK95FC. I found the file but 'peter'doc wasn't there. However, in the drag down menu offering me options to change the doc file name, the peter doc was one of them - so I guess this proves that it went in there at some time(?) - but it doesn't appear to be there now.
    Any other thought ?
    Cheers
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Peter,

What I'd try is if you still have the email.

1. Reopen the file from the email.
    2. Click Save (don't actually save it).
    3. Now look where the file will be stored in the save dialog.
    4. Cancel out.
    5. Navigate to that folder and the file will probably be there.

HTH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might give Copernic Desktop Search ‘free trial’ a try. Version 4.3 is the latest I am certain of (and have myself), but they also have a version 5 on the site without calling it a beta.

That will find a needle in a haystack once it has fully indexed the drive, and in the settings you will find an option to let it use all available resources to perform the indexing, which is especially useful when performing an initial index – just remember to change the setting back once you have created the initial index.

A search for words or character strings you recall having personally used to edit the document might give you a quick result if there is something to be found.

Edited to add: You can do the same thing with Windows native indexing and search, and many will argue that at this stage of the game Windows indexing and search make third-party indexing excessive, especially since they make searching email on the fly a nuisance. Copernic certainly won the war of third-party desktop search engines, and I find it extremely powerful (it will do an entire network for you).

You appear to have a perfect test case to compare the two.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2015-06-16 at 09:00.

Thanks
    I use Free Commander. It doesn't need to index the drive. Choose the binoculars icon in the toolbar. The search window will appear. Type in the search term, choose where you want to search from the drop down menu (it will search multiple drives if you require) and run it. It will quickly find every instance of your search term, providing a full file path in each case and access to the file.

http://freecommander.com/en/downloads/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have PowerDesk 9 on the present machine and Free Commander on another, but I donít believe they have the indexing and search capabilities of Copernic Desktop, and the trial I suggested costs nothing. I do use those other programs for easy searches, but if your searches arenít turning up anything, you may need stronger medicine.

Maybe your Word document is locked because you have never successfully closed it by properly saving it in Word. Unless you successfully re-open it by whatever means you got into it in the first place and save it in Word, other programs canít see it.

Your work may be in cache, provided you havenít cleared the caches, and Copernic will index the contents of caches. For easier full indexing, perform it offline, with other programs, especially anti-virus, turned off.

You may need to spend some time refining the searches Ė you have a huge advantage in being able to specify if not pinpoint dates, and once you specify even a month or so, you exclude all other dates from your search. The same is true of other filters you may apply. On the other hand, you may be over-specifying Ė what you want may be available, but if you are convinced that it must be in the form of a Word document or a file with a specific title, you may be excluding the very thing you are looking for.

I suggest you reconsider my recommendation.

Thanks
    Would that file be somewhere within My Documents? You did a Save As, then successive saves, it's possible that MiniTool Power Data Recovery [free will recover the recoverable up to 1GB; fee is unlimited] will locate the earlier saves. Going forward, make shortcuts of the directories your programs save their stuff into, that way, a quick-click will confirm what you saved is actually being saved.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

jwoods
    You might take a look at Microsoft's suggestions...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/316950