Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reconnect USB drives

Sorry about the word "unremove" but it seems like good PC-speak

Sometimes, after I have safely removed-external USB drives I want to re-connect them. Of course I can do that by unplugging the USB cables and reinserting - but is there a software-driven way to force W7 to rediscover USB devices ?

Thanks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    In such a situation I've had to close Windows Explorer [File Explorer in Win8 and later] then open it again, usually gets all the USB devices discovered. In extreme cases I've had to shut a computer down and pull the power cord out for a few seconds, put it back and try again.

Thanks
    You should be able to do it using Devcon. Have a look at post #3 in this Why do we have to physically re-plug a USB drive to “read” it again? article.

Uwe Sieber has also written a specific utility. Have a look at his RestartSrDev V2.0 article here.

If I remember correctly you can also re-enumerate devices using Nir Sofer's USBDeview.

Hope this helps...

Edit - I used 'Safely remove' to eject a USB stick whilst I watched what happened in USBDeview. I tried USBDeview's Reload USB Hub option but couldn't force re-enumeration of the USB stick. I didn't try RestartSrDev ('cos, frankly, I have no use for it).
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2015-04-20 at 08:10.

Thanks
    ...when I saw the switches for those utilities and the explanations, I thought I was in Devcon 2. I need to read some more...
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Sorry, but Windows is an OOED environment (Object Oriented Event Driven), so if you tell Windows to disconnect a USB device ("Safely Remove...") Windows will do so because you (he/she who must be obeyed) have ordered so.

If you subsequently decide you want to re-connect to such dis-connected hardware (without severing the physical connection) then Windows needs an "event" to cause the re-connection of the hardware.

Others have posted suggestions in this thread re software that might help, but I wonder why it is such a problem to disconnect/reconnect such USB devices?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Not tested it in a few months but my usual non-reboot method for this is to enter Computer Management > Device Manager, right-click the computer name in the right pane and click Refresh (Scan for computer changes).

EDIT: Forget that, I just tested it and it still requires physically removing and reconnecting the USB connection.
    Last edited by satrow; 2015-04-20 at 08:20.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-20)

Thanks
    If I understand the question correctly, MartinM wants to have the USB drive re-discovered/re-installed. If that's true then he could remove the USB drive by doing it in Device Manager and then plugging it back in.
    Here are instructions that I saved from a long ago post to remove the USB drive.
    "The OP could try the following (unplug the USB Flash drives first):
    Open an elevated Command Prompt (Start/Search, type "cmd" [no quotes]).
    At the top of the list of results right-click "cmd" (cmd.exe) then left-click "Run as Administrator".
    At the prompt type "SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1" (no quotes) then press Enter.
    Then type "START DEVMGMT.MSC" then press Enter.
    A "Device Manager" window should open; click on View/Show hidden devices

Any greyed-out (disconnected) devices listed under "Disk Drives" and "Universal Serial Bus controllers" that you recognise as your USB Flash drives should be removed (right-click/Uninstall).
    Any greyed-out (disconnected) devices listed under "Unknown Devices" should be safe to remove.

Once you have removed any problem devices you should restart Windows; once Windows has loaded fully plug in one of your Flash drives - Windows should now detect and install it normally."
    HTH

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies - which I am working through to find the solution.

For those who maybe thought that I was just lazy, a fair assumption, it is actually for a neighbour who has bad arthritis and the consequences of mistakenly "safely removing" an external drive are (literally) a pain.

PS I had already installed Uwe Sieber's Remove Drive utility, along with a batch file, to reduce the clicking needed to remove a number of external drives - that works beautifully.
    Last edited by MartinM; 2015-04-23 at 04:55.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too have long wished for a way to avoid having to physically unplug and replug in usb sticks which have been "Safely Removed." The issue is the cheaply made usb jacks (read junk hardware) which don't last and malfunction.

Thanks
    I use a USB extension cable permanently plugged into the back of my PC. The other end sits on my physical desktop so need to bend down etc to access the USB slots on the PC.

Thanks
    I have seen a few USB keyboards that have one or more USB ports, but for years I have just used a Belkin USB extension cable connected to one of the rear ports with the socket end fixed to my desk beside my keyboard.

Using an extension cable also helps to avoid accidental damage to the front USB ports on desktop cases. I have seen many customers' PCs that had broken front ports; sometimes the contacts are shorted causing the PC to fail to boot up.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why bother to "safely remove" if not disconnecting?
    George

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by High Sierra View Post
    Why bother to "safely remove" if not disconnecting?
    It's one way to force any write cache to hurry up and write.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    High Sierra,
    Sometimes she Safely Removes then remembers there's something else she needs to do.
    Unplugging and then re-plugging is (literally) a pain.
    Please don't be scornful - she has some difficulties !
    Martin

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    High Sierra,
    Sometimes she Safely Removes then remembers there's something else she needs to do.
    Unplugging and then re-plugging is (literally) a pain.
    Please don't be scornful - she has some difficulties !
    Martin
    Sorry if I came off as scornful. No disrespect meant. I had the impression that the USB drive was always left connected (plugged in).
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast