3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem starting Win8.1

I get the following screen when I try to start W8.1

20150420_150336.jpg

I dual boot with W7, so I tried accessing the W8.1 partition and replacing Winload.exe with the stored version in C:\Windows\WinSXS, but this still produced the same result.
    I don't know how to tackle this. Does anyone have any advise please?

Alex

Thanks
    Which OS was installed first?

Is your system BIOS or UEFI?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

jwoods
    Try this solution...

http://wind8apps.com/winload-exe-windows-8/

Lots of issues reported on both Win7 and 8 with winload.exe corruption or not found.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Win7 was installed first, followed by W8.0, which was then 'upgraded' to 8.1.
    The system is UEFI, and I use EBCD to set the boot options.

JWoods, I tried the solution set out in your link, but the process found no compatible operating systems. This could be because I only have a W8.0 iso and my upgrade to 8.1 took place within windows.
    I have found it impossible to obtain an 8.1 iso.

Thanks
    A1ex,

You can create your own 8.1 media from this link.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Win7 was installed first, followed by W8.0, which was then 'upgraded' to 8.1.
    The system is UEFI, and I use EBCD to set the boot options.

JWoods, I tried the solution set out in your link, but the process found no compatible operating systems. This could be because I only have a W8.0 iso and my upgrade to 8.1 took place within windows.
    I have found it impossible to obtain an 8.1 iso.
    If your system is UEFI, Winload.exe is the wrong file. You need to use Windows\System32\Winload.efi. Winload.exe is for BIOS systems.

As for a Windows 8.1 ISO, look here.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I slipped up in my earlier response. The system is BIOS, the clue is in the warning screen I posted initially which specifically refers to winload.exe.
    I now have a win8.1 iso (thanks for the links) but it still fails to find an operating system when I run bootrec.
    I'm wondering if the problem lies with bootmgr, but I have no idea how to pursue that avenue.

Thanks
    If Windows 7 boots, can you take a screenshot of your Easy BCD Settings and post it?

Also, since you dual boot, using the DVD to correct your BCD store will usually break your dual boot.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2015-04-21 at 15:38.

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Easy BCD Settings page

EasyBCD Settings 2015-04-22.jpg

It's easy enough to reset the dual boot using easy BCD.

Thanks
    Have you tried (via Easy BCD) deleting your Windows 8 menu entry and then adding it back to the BCD store?

Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks bbearen, it worked a treat. Wish I'd thought of that.

Thanks
    Glad that sorted it out for you. Easy BCD is pretty handy.

Unleash Windows