3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using OneDrive for Business as file server for small company

One Drive (and other cloud storage offerings) could possibly be used as a file server for a small business like mine. I have an Office 365 business subscription, which includes 1Tb of One Drive data - i actually think its even 1Tb per user!

I am wondering if it is wise to use One Drive as a replacement for a file server in our office. The three staff will need to have access to all project files, but some would need to be restricted to not have access to sensitive data such as staff profiles, salaries, financial info etc. we are also not in the office all the time, but still need access to the relevant documents.

If OneDrive has files in offline mode, and is stolen, or a staff member leaves, is it possible to wipe the data off that machine without wiping out the main data repository?

Could I use OneDrive as a file server replacement? Has anyone tried this? What are the pro's and con's?

I am battling at the moment to get all the files into a single storage location, with suitable backup both local and offsite for the company files.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I would set up a local PC as the shared data repository and backup to one drive. Then you have full control over who has access and recovery to another machine is relatively easy.

cheers, Paul

mcgeeky
    Yes, OneDrive for Business can be used as a file server replacement for a small company. With your data in OneDrive for Business you can then access it from any location through a number of methods; browser, devices, sync tool.

The SharePoint Online team sites are usually the best place to store shared files that everyone needs access to. OneDrive for Business is better suited for personal files or the kinds of files you would normally put in your My Documents folders.

However, due to the generous storage offered in OneDrive for Business (1TB at present and soon so be increased to unlimited) some organisations do use OneDrive for Business as their main shared storage repository.

Getting your files in to OneDrive for Business can be quite a task in itself. I recommend reading this article on migrating from a file server to OneDrive for Businesshttp://blogs.technet.com/b/akieft/ar...drive-pro.aspx. It has a lot of great tips on dealing with file incompatibilities and running the migration itself.

At present the OneDrive for Business sync tool does not have a facility to wipe the files from a computer if it is stolen. Probably best to encrypt the drive with a tool like Bitlocker. Or, you could use mapped network drives instead. They don't sync all the data so if there is a lost laptop there won't be much lost.

Check this article on how to map a network drive to OneDrive for Business http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2616712

Myles

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul

I am looking at this option once again........ because the current provider is calling an end to their Hybrid Cloud service in a few months time (AeroFS). It works perfectly, and all my data is easily replicated - I just have the problem that they are not going to continue.

How would I set up OneDrive for Business as you suggested?
    Would I set up a PC with a shared directory that is also synchronised to One Drive for Business? The volume of data to be transferred would be huge, and would effectively shutdown my internet connection..... for about a month!? until the data has uploaded. There is rather a lot of data!

Is there a OneDrive for Business app that can be installed on its own without the whole Office365 suite - on Server 2008R2?

I don't know enough about OneDrive to work these out, and MS is not the clearest in this respect.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Ahhh! You have too much data for a cloud backup methinks. Maybe just have a NAS?
    http://windowssecrets.com/best-hardw...ere-and-there/
    What have you currently got?

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul - I think that might be the single biggest problem - too much data!

The idea behind using a cloud service is to have automatic off-site backups. OneDrive is fine to manage your own personal files (but not the 130 000 photos that I have - these are not even taken into account!) but working with an organisation of just 3 people, I find I am having trouble keeping track of just around 30Gb of company data.

That 30Gb excludes the development code of webbased applications, clients' contract information (not just contracts with us - their overall contract documents) and more....

I read yesterday about Amazon having an unlimited store for a fixed amount per year..... but I give up trying to understand Amazon S3 and the like.... I am now going to start looking at the AeroFS Private Cloud system a little more closely, and moving to that from their Hybrid Cloud that I currently use. Its just a little tricky to find out how to switch data to the new system without incurring huge download/upload data requirements. I guess that applies to all cloud environments, though....

A file server which is backed up by FTP to a hosted FTP Server appears to be the most effective solution for backups, but I need a simple sync solution as well to keep various laptops topped up with the latest data. I will keep trying to find the optimum solution...........