Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Adobe Reader update/change

For years it was known as Adobe Acrobat Reader then several years ago it was changed to Adobe Reader. Installed it on a rebuild and it is now known as Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, but still free. Biggest issue was getting a clean download, took 3 tries apparently because their server was busy. It does include something about creating online .pdf files but don't need to check that just yet, probably will want money.

jwoods
    It's been years since I've used Reader...

I currently use PDF-XChange Viewer from Tracker Software.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still use Reader. One thing I don't like about the current Reader XI is that it displays this big "Export" window on the right, and it's impossible to permanently disable this window.

I've discovered I can temporarily disable the Export window. Going Full-Screen and then back again does the trick. The thing is, this is just a workaround, when I want the Export window gone permanently.

Many of my documents are extremely wide. Even with a wide screen monitor, I need the screen space that Export is taking.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    One thing I don't like about the current Reader XI is that it displays this big "Export" window on the right, and it's impossible to permanently disable this window.
    Clicking on Tools just above Export will make that go away (because Export is one of five tools in that pane).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

BHarder (2015-05-13),voxov (2015-05-16)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cool, I had a feeling that I was missing something obvious!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also have issues with the export window on the right. I expect an X in the corner to close it. Since there is none, I have to google "how to close reader window" to discover clicking on "tools" closes it. After the first few times, I now remember I have to click on something, but I usually forget it's "tools"
    How annoying to have such a non-standard method, just in the hopes that people will use Adobe's services.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I went through quite a few UI actions looking for a way to turn that window off. Let's see...

Look for a window X
    Right click a blank spot on the window
    Right click a blank spot on the window title
    View command on the menu

What gets me is that all the Tools on offer (and Sign, and Comment) are all edge use cases. How often is the user going to access these? Not very. And I notice too, that this window is the last to load and is noticeably slower than the rest of Reader.

So, takes up valuable screen real-estate, not often required, and slow. What's not to love?