Thanks

Windows 10 to debut in late July, says AMD chief

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They better get going on fixing the existing bugs!
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Some thoughts by Paul Thurrott - Thinking About a Possible July Launch of Windows 10.

Joe

Thanks
    From Thurrott's article:
    So the dates sort of don’t matter, unless of course you’re hoping to attend some big launch party.
    If you are looking for a free upgrade to Windows 10, the launch date certainly matters.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I doubt anyone who is really interested in the free upgrade will miss out. I'm sure the start and end dates for the free upgrade will be well publicized.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've seen a lot of press about the "free" update to Win 10, but haven't really heard much more than "for the first year". With Microsoft's push to the Cloud (i.e. Office 365) and web-based SaS (software as a service), is Windows headed that way too with a subscription fee after the first year? Since there is no going back to Win 8.1 (or whatever was upgraded, unless of course you have a recent full image backup prior to the upgrade), what happens on year two? For that reason alone, *I* will likely run Win 10 in a virtual environment as I do now with the Tech Preview, or at a minimum as a dual-boot system with Win 8.1.

Thanks
    It's all speculation for the moment, and not really worth getting too worked up about.

That being said, keeping a full image backup "recent" (and your data in particular) should be a minimum goal, regardless of what the future holds.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Free for the first year means the ability to upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be free for one year. Once loaded, Windows 10 will remain free in its current state forever. Microsoft may choose to offer additional enhancements for a fee or a subscription. That remains to be seen.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't read thru everything yet, but for those of us that install 10TP on an old pc, will we get to upgrade to full 10 at launch? I am late, but just now installing it on an old Asus Eee XP netbook....one of the first.

Thanks
    You will get the released version of Windows 10 if you have a copy of Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. Not sure how but Microsoft's Gabe Aul has said the "intent" is that the last version of Windows 10 TP will be upgradeable to the released version. You might need a qualifying OS Product key but it's all speculation at this point.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "for those of us that install 10TP on an old pc, will we get to upgrade to full 10 at launch?"

No. The free offer is to go from Win7 SP1 & (win8.0) Win8.1 (only) ; NOT from Win10 Beta to Win10 GA. Beta OSs should not be used to overwrite Production Machine OSs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I, also, want to say what Jerry has written is correct. I will add my own words of clarification for people, also. The Free offer: It is NOT, Free for 1 year & then begin paying. It IS, get it during the 1st 12 months following its release and your done, its yours for the life of that machine. PERIOD! Simple, nothing more to it, nothing more to spend. Wait more than a year & it will cost. And this applies to in-place (Update) installs, only not, bare metal clean (Custom) installs.

Free for the first year means the ability to upgrade from Windows 7 and Windows 8 will be free for one year. Once loaded, Windows 10 will remain free in its current state forever. Microsoft may choose to offer additional enhancements for a fee or a subscription.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42887
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2015-04-28 at 15:52.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I am trying it out, shall see what happens. if all else fails I have 7 that I can use to upgrade. We shall see. I have nothing to lose, just pulled the old machine out from under my desk.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Cool... and what is "the old machine" & how is 10 on it? Yup, can upgrade 7 to 10. I did some work on a client's machine today... that's what she is going to do, upgrade her 7 to 10 when it is released. I built her machine 4 yrs ago. Among other things, I set it up to use dual monitors... something she needed to work @ home yet, duplicate her set-up @ work, @ the office.

Anyway, I getting off track, sorry LOL

I suppose I'm using Win10 about 99.9% of the time; only occasional brief visits to Win8.1

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42901

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ye Olde Machine is an Asus Eee PC Netbook. It had XP on it. I simple burned the ISO for the 10 TP and installed it on one of the partitions. I have not verified yet if the install left the other 2 partitions. One is a recovery for factory restore. But who needs it anyway?

The built in graphics is poor so at highest resolution the output to an external monitor leaves a band of black screen at the top and bottom of the external monitor. I haven't fiddled much with the settings yet, but it is set for highest res and did correctly identify the monitor. Oddly, XP rendered full screen on the same monitor without issue. I got sidetracked with non-working cable tv so have not done anything else yet.