Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB Keyboard driver disables(?) itself

On my works laptop we have whole disk encryption installed. In my team we also use dual monitors via a docking station with a USB mouse and keyboard.

As of today my USB keyboard is not working but only during boot. I am able to enter my encryption password or drop into the BIOS, etc but after much messing around trying to work out what's what I noticed that the numlock light was going out about halfway through the driver load.

The keyboard itself is 'sort of' being recognised as in device manager it states "Dell USB Keyboard" but has a question mark next to it. If I unplug / re-plug it in to the same or different ports then the system also recognises teh keyboard but still with the question mark. Looking into the details it says no drivers are installed. So I try a driver update and get a "not enough storage is available to process this command" - tried the irpstacksize fix also to no joy. I also went to try a restore but found out that that functionality is disabled. I have full admin rights to the laptop so its not a permissions thing.

Finally I have tried this laptop on another docking station and get the same results whilst a colleagues works just fine on my setup.

Clearly it's a driver issue of some sort but any thoughts as to how to fix this before I throw it in the bin and yes I've tried re-installing the drivers just Dell don't supply any for this so hit a dead end there too.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    UPDATE

One thing I didn't try is just the laptop and an external keyboard under the presumption that as a colleagues works, etc ... Anyway, at home and just trying it and it works. So the issue is something to do with the docking station / drivers of the same.

I also have 4 unknown devices in device manager but can't fix due to the previously mentioned: "not enough storage is available to process this command"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This post seems to have an answer to your error message - second post marked answer. Fix that, load the additional drivers and see if your keyboard behaves.

cheers, Paul

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

stubbyd (2015-04-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    This post seems to have an answer to your error message - second post marked answer. Fix that, load the additional drivers and see if your keyboard behaves.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for the response Paul. I've already tried that one though (as indicated in my opening post). In fact, that change is now throwing up a lot of other errors in the event viewer but at least they aren't stopping me working.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Make sure you are using a USB2 port, not USB3.

Try another keyboard.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

stubbyd (2015-04-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    Make sure you are using a USB2 port, not USB3.

Try another keyboard.
    Thanks for the thoughts - however the issue is definitely not the keyboard or the port in use (and I have tried them all just to be sure) as when my colleague puts his laptop on my docking station (and vice-versa) his works and mine still doesn't ... but within the constraints originally mentioned.

jwoods
    A poster on Tom's Hardware solved it by removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ot-solved.html

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

stubbyd (2015-04-21)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    A poster on Tom's Hardware solved it by removing the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...ot-solved.html
    It's worth a go I guess but in this case the keyboard works up to a certain point during boot. I've also logged the boot to a text file and nothing fails to load or errors that I could see. Also, not sure how teh company would feel about me ripping open the laptop ... as I'm not sure where the cmos battery is on this beast, yet