Thanks

Win 8 system images

In a recent column, http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...need-updating/
    Fred Langa seems to state that Win 8 system images do not contain the user data -

"......strongly favors using traditional, all-in-one disk images over the Win8 method, which backs up user and system files separately."

I've been under the impression that Win 8 system image is a complete image of the system drive. Is this not correct?

Thanks

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows 8 splits the image into sections for greater flexibility, which is great for those of use who know about such things, but not so good for mere mortals. I would stick to an image created using Macrium or Easus as I believe both allow you to pull out individual files or restore the lot - restoring the lot is best for recovery IMO.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I've used the Windows 8 system image utility to recover a few computers, but those systems I had set up with user files in a separate partition. I've also created images on (but never needed to recover) computers with just a single partition. Are you saying that if I was to recover one of those computers which have a single partition, using a Windows 8 system image, that the user files would be lost?

Thanks

Thanks
    I understand of course that user files created after the image creation date would be lost, I'm just surprised by the idea that user files are not included in the image.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Although Fred used the phrase "Default system images" in that reply, I'm not convinced he was talking about Sytem Image Backup (which is well hidden in 8.1); because he followed that phrase with, "The Refresh option can use these images ..." which I believe only applies to "Create a recovery drive".