Thanks

Disappearing scrollbar in IE11

On some websites, the right-side scrollbar in IE11 [and IE10 too, from my brief research] disappears after a few seconds--BBC site is one example, although that's generally messed up in other ways too atm. If you scroll a long page with the pointer on the down arrow, clicking it after more than ~3 seconds will have no effect. You have to move the pointer away to make the arrow reappear, then move the pointer back and click. Continually annoying in a minor way.

My conclusion after searching a few MS support threads is that there's no fix from MS for this. I found two other solutions, one of which works for me, so try these if you have this problem. I'm on latest IE11, Win7 x64.

1. Invoke your browser's CSS style page
    Both solutions are one line of code to paste into your browser's style file. If you don't have one of those, open a new text file, put one of the code lines below into it, and save it somewhere safe and findable as filename.css
    1a. In IE Internet Options, click the Accessibility button at the bottom of the General tab, then in the my style sheet section, tick the box and find the file you just made. IE will now use whatever styles are in that file, overriding websites' styles whenever possible.

2. The Code
    The one which works for me is in 2a, the other in 2b.
    2a.
    Code:
    @-ms-viewport{width:auto!important}
    2b.
    Code:
    html {overflow-y: scroll;}
    2c. You can put both of these in the same file if you comment out one at a time while testing. Save the CSS file, close browser, re-open and it should work. My file looks like this, feel free to copy it and get lucky
    Code:
     /* html {overflow-y: scroll;} this doesn't work in IE */
    /* or */
    @-ms-viewport{width:auto!important} /* this works in IE */
    /* to have permanently visible browser scrollbar */
    In the above, only the "@-ms-viewport{width:auto!important}" line is operational, everything else is commented out, ie between /* and */ tags.
    Last edited by Lugh; 2015-04-21 at 16:00. Reason: removed off-topic paragraph

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Nice find. Thanks for posting. That behavior drives me nuts. It's got to be the stupidest thing ever done in a GUI.

I hope it works in Win 10 too; it's not restricted to IE there (but from today I won't be using Win 10 for a while.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unfortunately neither 2a nor 2b work for me in IE11 on Windows 8.1 for MSN.com, or most BBC.com pages except the home page.
    Last edited by BruceR; 2015-04-22 at 01:48.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Unfortunately neither 2a nor 2b work for me in IE11 on Windows 8.1
    That's too bad, Bruce. I don't have Win8 here to test. So the working conclusion then seems that it's Windows version specific, not browser specific [I did see Firefox mentioned in one article I scanned].

Something in Win8 overrides the user's browser style sheet, whereas Win7 leaves it alone.

That behavior drives me nuts. It's got to be the stupidest thing ever done in a GUI.
    You've got to wonder if it's an unintended consequence which they haven't figured out yet. It's hard to imagine someone making such a brainless dev call deliberately.

Maybe a conflict which arises when sites change to mobile-centric, as the BBC did recently.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Not unintended

Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    You've got to wonder if it's an unintended consequence which they haven't figured out yet. It's hard to imagine someone making such a brainless dev call deliberately.
    Have you not noticed how many times you inadvertently click on an advert when the scroll bar disappears! Someone was nobody's fool!

Thanks
    For anyone with time to spare, there has been a long thread going on Microsoft Answers for a couple of years.

Disappearing scroll bar on websites
    Lugh.
    ~
    Windows 10 Pro x64 1607; Office 2016 (365 Home) x32; Win Defender, MBAM Pro

ASRock H97 Anniversary; Xeon E3-1231V3 (like i7)
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970; 12GB Crucial DDR3 1600
    Logitech MX Master mouse; Roccat Isku kb

Thanks
    FYI I have Win10 AU 14393.51 and do not have the problem described. Have used IE since 3.02 (Win 3.1), and have not seen any real reason since to switch to any other browser. But look carefully at your settings in Control Panel\Internet Options - maybe go to the "Advanced" tab and choose "reset"?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.