New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows backup issue

Hi
    I have a issue With Windows backup on Our win 2012 server. I have set up a scheduled backup to run daily at 7:30 PM, but it doesn't start. If I do a manual run once with the same config it runs just fine, but the scheduled backup won't start. I get no error message neither in WBM nor in event log. Any idea why the schedule won't start?

The 7:34 Bk in the screenshot is the manually started run once, from the same config as the scheduled.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A "screen shot". Excellent!

The scheduler may not be running or the job may not be active. Open Windows Scheduler (Start > Run, taskschd.msc) and check that the backup job is correct.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

SEAS (2015-04-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time to help me. The scheduler is running and other scheduled tasks run. However the backup job is not in the scheduled tasks list, I Wonder why.

Edit: I have redone it, but now it fail starting With Event ID 101 , ResultCode">2147943785

In Gpedit I'm not able to add accounts to "log on as a batch job" it's greyed out, but shouldnt the admin account have permission by default?
    Last edited by SEAS; 2015-04-22 at 10:35.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, the admin should have that right. Why don't you create a new user just for the backup job? I always like to have specific users for specific server jobs, then if it goes pear shaped I only have one place to look.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Yes, the admin should have that right. Why don't you create a new user just for the backup job? I always like to have specific users for specific server jobs, then if it goes pear shaped I only have one place to look.

cheers, Paul
    I have now made a New user for the backupjob, added him to the Groups: administrators, domain admins, backup operators, and given him permission to read/Write to the backup folder on the NAS. Lets see how this turns out. Any idea why I can't edit the Group policy for "run as batch"?

I took over this job on monday this week after the system admin that left on bad terms so asking him anything about his config is not an option.
    and the server setup is a mess and its my first time using win 2012 srv. Event log is huge full of errors and keeps spamming them. I kinda want to just reinstall the whole thing, problem is 4 Companies work on the server so finding a suitable time to do it is hard. Just gonna have to fix his mess as best I can.

Edit: arrgh, still fails to launch With event ID: 101 result code :2147943785

Edit2: OMG, the main DC is a server thats not even on the network, the server I'm working on is just a global catalog. I don't even think the DC exist anymore. Me thinks I'm scre..ed
    Last edited by SEAS; 2015-04-23 at 06:00.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are on a GC it's a main server. To ensure the network is OK you need to check the FSMO role holders. If any of these are on a non-existent server they need to be moved.
    List FSMO: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/234790
    Move FSMO: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/255504

cheers, Paul

p.s. do not be scared, just proceed with caution and ask lots of questions before you make changes. And backup, of course.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

SEAS (2015-04-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Paul.

The GC I have is RIS, PDC and infrastructure master. Its also the Schema master. So why am I not allowed to edit Group policies and local Security settings?

Here are the only users with "log on as batch" rights, "Sortlanserver" is the old PDC that has been removed. I am not allowed to add any users. Add user is greyed out.

GPO: Default Domain Controllers Policy
    Policy: BatchLogonRight
    Computer Setting: SEAS\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$SORTLANSERVER$MAMUT2
    LOCAL SERVICE
    SEAS\SUPPORT_388945a0
    SEAS\SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$SORTLANSERVER$MAMUT
    IIS_IUSRS

I also talked to a dude I know yesterday that works on a server park, where they rent out Virtual servers to Companies using huge servers split up with VMware. I sent him some logs he requested and he said he had never encountered my problem before and couldn't understand why I couldn't edit policies. He did say he didn't have much experience With WinSrv 2012 tough, they use 2008 R2.

Edit: I found the GPO that was overriding the Security settings. Hurray!
    Thanks for you help Paul, now I just have to figure out why he has set up a Virtual 2012 server that apparently do nothing but host some user folders.
    Last edited by SEAS; 2015-04-24 at 06:31.