3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reenable Windows updates on server

I have a server that was co-hosted by an ISP, who decided that the bandwidth of windows updates was too expensive, and instituted a system of local updates instead - a WSUS server that downloaded the updates once, and then distributed them locally. That was a good idea at the time..... they set up a Group Policy that stopped windows updates and only allowed them from working off their local server

A few years later, I see that Windows updates are no longer being installed. When I go look for the reason, it appears that the local server is no longer. And I can't get updates from Microsoft! And they don't have any record of the Group Policy...... they seem to have lost the memory of implementing this in the first place!

Is there anything I can do to be able to restore Windows Updates facility from MS?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Change the Configure Automatic Updates group policy to Not Configured: How to configure automatic updates by using Group Policy or registry settings

... or Allow local admin to choose setting: Configure Automatic Updates by Using Group Policy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The host may still have a WSUS server and you just need to re-point your server - see the second link from Bruce.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the link - it worked on one server, but there are no Group Policy settings on the other server. I now get a Windows Update Error 800705AA cannot install the new Windows Update engine.....

Help!

EDIT:- Restarted the machine and the updates are downloading! YAY! Hope they all install properly
    Last edited by Photorer; 2015-05-04 at 03:06. Reason: Update

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All updates are working now....... hooray!

Until the updates break a programme that used to work.....! But that's for another day!

Thanks everyone for the help!