5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Something’s wrong with OneDrive – or me.

After reluctantly creating a MS account and discovering that it’s impossible to drag items to be uploaded to the Onedrive page as instructed, as the page cannot be reduced to less than full screen, it was necessary to think of another method.

I created a Word file, named it Photos 2006, added the relevant 12 folders, then copy/pasted it to the OD page, from where it soon started uploading. After it finished, the Photos 2006 folder was removed from my PC and the system closed down.

This was on Tuesday. Yesterday morning my ISP showed 221 MB overnight usage, yet when I went to OD online it showed nothing had been uploaded. So where was it uploaded to?

Thinking that perhaps the deletion of the 2006 file may have removed it from OD, even though synchronisation is not set up, another attempt was made last night. This time I decided to dispense with the year folders and copy the same 12 folders direct from Pictures, and found that OD is included in the 'send to' options, simplifying the entire process.

Again I waited for the upload to complete, then closed down. Today the ISP usage shows 228 MB overnight – dispensing with the 2006 wrapper has grown the size. And OneDrive is still empty. So almost half a gig has just vanished.

Hopefully some kind soul can explain what is going wrong – either with me or the software. Failing which I shall settle for storing the failsafe backups on DVDs and get a friend to hold them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It gets stranger and stranger.

Three nights running I’ve tried to upload the same photos to One Drive, my ISP’s usage shows 200+ MB each time, but they never arrive. Last night I also tried a few more recent photos, taken with a different camera, with the same result.

Today I found an explanation of where they are going. Updating CCleaner, went to the download folder and noticed an entry for OneDrive, containing all the photos involved. But why does moving them from Pictures to the OD download folder involve the internet, and why put them there anyway?

I also made a mistake today, clicked send to OD rather than copy to OD. Had to restore them from the DVD backup – fortunately they were all old enough to be on the DVD.

Trying the other option, working from my account in the cloud, I get a message that 'no photos with date taken found'. Every folder is labelled with date and subject, such as ‘2014.11.13 Poppies at Tower of London’ for the most recent. Admittedly the individual photos only have the serial number allotted by the camera, although date and time taken, exposure, focal length and much else is embedded in the image.

If this means I have to go through 3,000 odd photos changing the number to date taken it’s good-bye OneDrive. Especially as there could be as many as 100 with the same date, and I already get messages such as ’57 objects found with same date and subject’.

Yet presumably many people get it to work .