New Lounger
    Thanks

Question 32 bit to 64 bit

I'm currently running Windows 8.1 in 32 bit mode because I upgraded to 8.1, 32 bit from Win 7, 32 bit.
    I do have the Windows 8 disks for both 32 and 64 bit installation. Is there a way I can upgrade my PC
    from 32 bit to 64 bit without having to reformat my hard drive and lose all my data? Any suggestions
    will be appreciated as I'd like to upgrade to Windows 10, 64 bit when it becomes available.
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Going from 32bit to 64bit requires a total reinstall. Back up all your data files to an external drive before you begin.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was afraid of that. Thanks for the reply so quickly.
    Have a good day.

Thanks
    The upgrade may create a Windows.old file that would contain your documents and pictures (assuming you kept them in their default locations) but I would take Bruce's advice and not count on it.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

32 bit to 64 bit

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    The upgrade may create a Windows.old file that would contain your documents and pictures (assuming you kept them in their default locations) but I would take Bruce's advice and not count on it.

Jerry
    Could I move all folders (except Windows) from my C drive to my D drive, format C drive and install 64 bit windows. Then move the folders back to C drive.
    Is that feasible?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johndek1 View Post
    Could I move all folders (except Windows) from my C drive to my D drive, format C drive and install 64 bit windows. Then move the folders back to C drive.
    Is that feasible?
    For your data folders, yes. For your programs and apps, no. Your best bet is just to backup all your data files to an external drive or a separate physical internal drive, and install 64bit Windows. You can then restore your data to the appropriate folders in the new installation. You will still have to reinstall your programs and apps.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    For your data folders, yes. For your programs and apps, no. Your best bet is just to backup all your data files to an external drive or a separate physical internal drive, and install 64bit Windows. You can then restore your data to the appropriate folders in the new installation. You will still have to reinstall your programs and apps.
    I really didn't want to hear that, but I guess I'll have to live with it. Thanks for all your help and advice.

Thanks
    I feel your pain. I went from 32bit XP to 64bit Windows 7. Just bite the bullet. Plan your scheme well, including your backup regimen, and you'll be good to go. It's a good idea to keep your data on a separate hard drive, or at minimum, a separate partition.

Unleash Windows