New Lounger
    Thanks

Question My Keyboard/Mouse won't stay powered when XP is loading!

I was good, everything was okay as far as I am concerned, one day not too long ago I rebooted my computer and then all of the sudden this DLL files fixer bug appears right before the log in is about to take place (this happens, or shall I say was happening before I set the PC back to factory settings). Now I can't use my USB devices i.e., keyboard and mouse etc because the USB ports for some reason or another (Malware or Trojan or whatever) are not getting power. Luckily, I had a boot desk, by the way, this is the only way that I am able to type this message out. I have a Hiren's boot disc and I've tried the many installations that are available on the disc, I actually recovered the PC back to its original 2006 registry settings, but nothing is happening for me thus far, could this be a virus? And the weird thing is I actually have Malwarebytes on my desktop. I suspect its Malware or a Trojan. I do lots of downloading per say, so every now and again the Antivirus I have which is Norton would take the download you've been waiting hours for away, and you'd see at the same time that thousands of other people having the same file as you do, so this in tells a ((((false positive)))). I guess I was in the wrong for going up against Norton's better judgement right? So here I am writing this soliloquy about the not being able to manifest a grip on reality's shoulders about the life and times of the outdated Windows XP Professional SP3!

For about a week or so, this computer has sent me literally on a wild goose chase about trying to resurface into the desktop that is XP. Unfortunately all for nothing, If anyone could give me a few pointers in succeeding at this grand feat of making it back to the desktop of this PC I'd be thankful.

Thanks for taking the time, peace and love and I hope that your pointers come out for me in the end.

jwoods
    A few questions for you...

1. What changes were made to your system right before this started?

2. Have you tried using a different USB port for the keyboard and mouse?

3. If you have a PS2 keyboard and mouse, have you tried booting with those, unplugging them after booting, and then plugging in the USB devices to see if Windows recognizes them?

4. Have you checked in Device Manager to see if there are any devices with yellow or red icons?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried everything it seems, might have to reinstall, I dread this thought! SMH

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    A few questions for you...

1. What changes were made to your system right before this started?

2. Have you tried using a different USB port for the keyboard and mouse?

3. If you have a PS2 keyboard and mouse, have you tried booting with those, unplugging them after booting, and then plugging in the USB devices to see if Windows recognizes them?

4. Have you checked in Device Manager to see if there are any devices with yellow or red icons?

Actually all of this occurred out of the blue really, no changes were made, I attempted to reboot my PC, and the DLL files fixer error message started. It would go through a check of my registry, one at a time, I've since have been able to get past this part. But there's still the problem of me getting in the desktop, but I have by recovering the registry to the factory settings, still I cannot use my USB ports!

Yes, I have tried using all of my USB ports!!

I can't get into Windows Safe Mode or the regular desktop of WIN XP...but I have hiren's boot disc, with allowed me to reset the factory setting, this lets me get to the desktop, however, my usb devices that being my kays, an mouse are not working.

I've checked the devices menu with MiniXP, this is a recovery operating system though Hiren's Boot disc...& unfortunately every time I try uninstalling the devices to this system with MiniXP they never stay uninstalled, I've ordered a CMOS battery, maybe its dying on me> This PC is 10 years old, and it is time for a replacement. By the way I'm using Linux right now on the same system as I type this message, and oddly enough the mouse and keyboard work fine no problems whatsoever. Just wish that I had a solution for Windows not being able to recognize these same functioning tools one would need to use Windows XP. If I could boot into Safe Mode this would be a good thing but I can't even do this, and if by some miracle I did the freaking mouse and keyboard probably wouldn't even work! Hope there's a remedy coming to me soon! Thanks again!

jwoods
    If the USB ports work in Linux but not in Windows, it's likely a driver(s) issue...

If you have your orginal Windows XP install CD, you could try a no-reformat, non-destructive re-install of XP.

Windows Secrets Fred Langa wrote the instructions, which I have used successfully in the past.

http://windowssecrets.com/langalist-...ebuild-option/

The easier method might be to try a PS2 mouse and keyboard to get through the boot process into Windows, and try to fix things in Device Manager (uninstall USB devices, reboot, and let XP detect and re-install the drivers for you).
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-23 at 19:12.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-24)