Lounger
    Thanks

Vcard/Signature annoyance (2000sr1a-IMO)

More an annoyance than anything else, but does anyone know how to fix this?

I have O2k set up to insert both a signature and a .vcf on original messages (Outlook HTML is the default editor). When I create a new message and then change my mind and try to close it, Outlook asks me if I want to save changes--before I've typed anything. It's clearly seeing the .vcf and/or the signature as an 'edit' to the message, despite the automatic insertion.

Is there a way to persuade Outlook to ignore the automatic content, so that I can just click-and-close an empty message?

TxIA and Happy Holidays! --Chris

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vcard/Signature annoyance (2000sr1a-IMO)

Hi Chris

I suspect, from what you describe, is entering an e-mail address in the blank message as well. Once you do that Outlook assumes that your intent to send is "serious". If you try the same strategy without entering an address, then you may find you don't get the "Do you want to save changes?" prompt. BTW, the prompt does also come up if you type text in without putting in an address.

On the basis that you may be using your mouse, the simplest thing I can suggest is using some keyboard shortcuts to back out of the cancelled message. Instead of clicking on the top right hand "x" on the message window (or using the File|Close menu sequence), hit the Alt key and the F4 key at (exactly) the same time. (With a bit of practice, you can do this one-handed.) Then immediately press the "N" key.

HTH
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Nope, I'm not entering an email address (nor is Outlook, unless you count the one in my signature). Thanks too for the tip on closing: that's how I'm coping now, but I'm still hoping to find a way to prevent, rather than just cope with, the extra keystroke.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Having retested in full, it's the VCard that makes the difference. VCards do not work as intended for all mail recipients but they do definitely register on Netscape 4x, Mozilla, Outlook 2000 or above and Outlook Express 4 (? - definitely 5) or above. The effectiveness of attaching also depends in part on how static your population of email recipients is.

If you want to put the mileage in to get some idea of what email clients your correspondents use, you may have some success by opening an incoming message and selecting View|Options. At the bottom of the dialogue box is a display of the contents of the detailed header - explaining how it got to you. Somewhere in there should be an indication of what email program was used. (Given your signature, it may be that many of your messages are from Corporate users. In which case, you may not have much success.)

HTH
    Gre