Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network on demand

I have two home PCs, networked together through a router. The main PC is windows 8.1 and the other is Windows 7. I only use the network connection occasionally to manually transfer files between them and would like to disconnect the network at other times, since the main PC is better protected than the other. Working from the Windows 8.1 PC, is there an easy way to turn the connection on only on demand and keep them separated at all other times?

Thanks
    Both having software firewalls: On the computer[s] not needing the internet for a time -- you can quickly right-click on the taskbar notification area's firewall icon, right click on firewall, left click on block all. There may be other ways, lemmie think on it.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-04-23 at 15:39.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Both having software firewalls: On the computer[s] not needing the internet for a time -- you can quickly right-click on the taskbar notification area's firewall icon, right click on firewall, left click on block all. There may be other ways, lemmie think on it.
    Thanks, but I may have been unclear. Both computers need the Internet. I am looking for a quick way to turn on and off the network connection BETWEEN the two computers, so that if the Windows 7 computer becomes infected it cannot infect the Windows 8.1 computer.

jwoods
    You could block incoming traffic from the IP address of the Windows 7 computer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Depending on your firewall and security software you maybe able to block network there.
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You could toggle ICS on and off as required in the 8.1 machine or change the Advanced sharing settings in Homegroup by turning off network discovery.

https://answers.syr.edu/display/os/D...dows+8+and+8.1
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-24 at 04:05.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Turn off the shares until you need them, or get better protection for the other PC, or only use the other PC with a non-admin account.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, that's a great way to go, beef up the security on the "weaker" computer. I wish I had thought of that!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

jwoods
    The issue with turning something on and off is that you most likely will have a situation where the Win 7 machine is infected, and you don't know it.

By the time you realize it, it could have already infected all devices on the network.

As mentioned before, you can block incoming traffic from the Win 7 machine, or use a whitelist.

Seems the better solution is one that involves "the total network" rather than just one machine (Firewall at the router, software firewalls and AV/anti-malware apps on each machine, MAC address filtering for wireless devices, updating Windows OS and security software regularly, regular scans, etc.)