New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't install any updates, Windows or otherwise

Hi, last patch Tuesday I was updating when something on the computer hiccuped. Since then, while the computer seems to be running fine it will not let me continue updating patches. All fail. Furthermore, other updates are not installing either like Java, or iTunes, Adobe, etc.

I've run McAfee antivirus, Malwarebytes and also done a defrag and scandisk but the problem continues.

Is it possible that a setting in the registry (or somewhere else) has changed to disallow me to install updates on my computer.

It's a DELL running Windows 7 and prior to this issue has been running fine with no issues.

Thank you for you time and help, if possible.

jwoods
    In Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services, check to see that Windows Installer and Windows Update services are not disabled...

Service.jpg

If you have a recent System Restore point saved before 4/14, you might do a System Restore in Safe Mode.

Because security software can sometimes interfere with System Restore completing, boot into Safe Mode "again" after the initial restore finishes and reboots your system.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-23 at 20:07.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-24)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When you have problems with Windows Updates it's always worth running the System Update Readiness Tool http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...Readiness-Tool but also check Event Viewer which will probably have recorded any service failures/hiccups.

For elimination purposes I think you should also temporarily uninstall iTunes as it has been known to cause anomalous problems.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-24 at 03:39.

Thanks
    I suspect the problem described by the OP is caused by something in recent WU patches. Since the March WU patches I have worked on two Win7 and three Win8.1 computers that were having Windows Installer issues; updates failed to install, could install/uninstall certain programs but not others, etc.

Googling the problem returned many results but no really helpful fix apart from the usual "clean install" ultimate solution. In each case I had to perform a repair-reinstall (fortunately back in Nov.2014 I downloaded the Win8.1 ISOs).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Support at Microsoft—Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows