New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 11 won't let me download anything

Sometime in the last few months IE 11 started preventing me from downloading anything. I'm running Win 7 Home x64 with McAfee and on another pc Win 7 Pro x32 with MS Security Essentials. Both PC's behave the same way with IE 11. PC's are both up to date with Windows Updates and virus scans come back clean. I've tried lowering the Internet security zone below medium-high but everything is still blocked. I can't download or open a PDF in the browser. I can't download or save pictures but I don't have trouble viewing them if they are on a web page. Downloading works fine on Opera, Chrome and FireFox however. Any ideas what to check?

jwoods
    Select one computer that you're having an issue with and do the following...

1. In IE 11 select Tools > Manage Add-ons.

2. In the Show dropdown, select "All add-ons".

3. Click on Toolbars and Extensions.

Going one at a time, disable an entry and try downloading.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When a problem has been found to be IE specific, resetting it to defaults is usually a good first step. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rer-reset.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    A complete IE reset, all add-ons disabled and it still can't download. IE prevents Adobe updates, it won't download a pdf, it won't open a pdf, it won't download zip or exe files. I don't know what to try next. Like I said, the other browsers work fine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you tried as a different user?

Thanks
    Try running Tweaking.com Windows Repair (All In One): http://www.tweaking.com/content/page...ll_in_one.html

Best to follow the steps in the program and don't alter the default repair settings.

Among other things it repairs IE.

It also repairs Windows Updates, so it is a good idea to check for updates after running WR.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Had you downloaded anything else previously to getting this problem ?

Trying your restore points back to when you may have been able to download in IE is worth a try and check the box for Scan for affected programs with each restore point you try.

This could identify a possible cause.

If possible, go back to prior this month's Windows Updates.

If you do give WR (All in One) a try, while it generally does what it says on the tin, create your own full external system image first.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-04-26 at 05:12.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've just reinstalled Win7, including updating to IE11, and I'm having the same problem.
    Difficult to even change to another browser, or apply some of the above suggestions, when you can't download anything.
    I've tried resetting in Internet Options\Advanced, again with no success.
    Think I'll have to try rolling back to IE10, or even 8.

*Following BruceR's suggestion above I tried running as administrator and it worked.
    Last edited by A1ex; 2015-04-26 at 11:54. Reason: Update on progress