Lounger
    Thanks

FileCopy (97 SR2 on NT 4.0)

Typically I would research this myself (I find that doing things wrong teaches me VERY effectively how to do it right the next time), but I really don't have enough time to try and figure it out. Here is my conundrum:

I update my front-end, and several subsequent Excell spreadsheets to the users desktop by some version checking logic I built that shells out to DOS and executes a .bat file. Rather than entering a value in a table (version checking table) I would much rather evaluate the Date Modified of the Excell Spreadsheets and determine if they are a new release. In doing this, I would keep the version number in my database table to relate ONLY to my database, and not versions of the aforementioned spreadsheets. I know that I could set separate flags for the separate spreadsheets, but I would just like to open the db, have it check the dates on the server copy of the files, then download if it is new. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: FileCopy (97 SR2 on NT 4.0)

There are some issues in doing what your are considering. Using the file system last modified date works with Excel workbooks as long as nobody modifies them - therein lies the hitch. Excel will often prompt you to save a workbook even though you didn't make any changes, and the Modified Date gets changed. And Access is worse - it changes the modified date practically every time you open the database.

We fought through this issue several months ago and ended up with a table that tracks the version of each of 30 plus databases for each workstation, and compares that against the version number of the currently deployed database. If it doesn't match, we download the current version to the workstation. We ended up creating a custom VB app to do all that and it seems to work pretty well. In summary, our experience indicated that we needed to track at that level of detail to make it work reliably. Hope this is useful for you.
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

What if I saved the XL file out to my server as Read Only, then did an APICopyFile based on what the date modified on the server vs. the date modified on the client machine? When the client opens the XL sheet, then when they save, they would have to SAVE AS, as opposed to saving and creating a newer date modified. The problem is, I need to find out what the date modified is on the XL file. So, back to the first question, can I get the date modified from an XL ss?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The idea of making the XL file READ ONLY should work - we even do that with databases to prevent bloat. As to you question about getting the date modified, we no longer work with 97 on a regular basis, but in 2K and 2002 there are several methods. The DateLastModified property can be used on a file or folder, and the FileDateTime function returns a variant that is the date last modified. Try searching 97 help on "get date last modified" and see what it returns. Hope this helps, and happy holidays.
    Wendell