New Lounger Marios Konstantinou's Avatar
    Thanks

Lightbulb NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and microsoft#ssee

Hi ,

Iam new to your forums ,

Iam facing a problem , during the installation of a backup solution the software asks for databases credentials to perform live backups, i fill out the credentials on the db's but there is one (microsoft#ssee) that i cannot access to.

As i can see the service is running from NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and i try many different combinations of possible password but nothing.
    My Question is : What if on the Sql server management tool i change from the user that runs that service (NT Authority\NetworkService) in that case to any other account ? Is that are going to affect my server or any DB ? if is going to affect is there any way to add to other user the exactly same permissions as that account ?

Thanks a lot.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do NOT change the user that runs the service, you will have problems.

SSEE is SQL server express and it runs with local credentials. You can back it up to a file and then use your standard backup software to backup the file. Your backup product should have instructions for that - if it doesn't handle SSEE it's not much of a backup product.
    SSEE Backup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2019698

IMO you should always back up your databases to a local file using Maintenance in the management console, unless you have a large production database that requires very frequent / real time backup. Using specific database backup software is not particularly useful for non-time critical databases, not to mention much more expensive.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Marios Konstantinou (2015-04-25)

Thanks

Smile NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE and microsoft#ssee

Dear Paul

Thanks a lot for your answer i appreciate your help ,

I will try to backup separately the ssee files and not as a database files , is there any way to reset "if" there is any credentials available on that local user ?
    I mean i try to login using that user without password (as Microsoft mentioned that this type of account has no password ) but the connection is refused.

Thanks again for your help ,

Kindly regards ,

Marios.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Do NOT change the user that runs the service, you will have problems.

SSEE is SQL server express and it runs with local credentials. You can back it up to a file and then use your standard backup software to backup the file. Your backup product should have instructions for that - if it doesn't handle SSEE it's not much of a backup product.
    SSEE Backup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2019698

IMO you should always back up your databases to a local file using Maintenance in the management console, unless you have a large production database that requires very frequent / real time backup. Using specific database backup software is not particularly useful for non-time critical databases, not to mention much more expensive.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    There are a few tools to backup the Express database and I have often had to re-do backups because later versions of the DB software change what is possible. Search for solutions and test is all I can suggest - just don't change any database credentials.

cheers, Paul

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Marios Konstantinou (2015-04-26)

Thanks
    Dear Paul ,

Thank you again for your help ,

I will try to find some related backup solutions to perform that backup , the database (#ssee) is the files that located on that specific folder (windows) only or is there more that storage somewhere else ? I mean if i backup the entire OS files that will be enough ?

Kindly regards ,

Marios.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    There are a few tools to backup the Express database and I have often had to re-do backups because later versions of the DB software change what is possible. Search for solutions and test is all I can suggest - just don't change any database credentials.

cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could perform an image backup, but that means you need to restore the image to restore the database, not recommended.

If you download Sql Server Express management studio you should be able to add a user with database admin rights and then perform the backup from the management console as that user.

cheers, Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Marios Konstantinou (2015-04-26)