3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using a laptop as an external hard drive

I use an internal second hard drive to hold backup images and files on my Win 7 desktop. The drive is nearly full but there is a lot of spare room on my laptop - is it practical to use the laptop to receive the backup files using a cable - if so, how do I do it?. I use EasUS Todo to back up my docs etc., and Macrium Reflect for images.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    You can simply copy the image files there, using your network. If you have wired network, this would probably be the fast way to handle it.

It may be more complex to restore the images, if they are on the laptop, though. I would this stored the oldest images on the laptop, while keeping the less old ones in the internal drive.

I am sure you are aware of it, but the internal drive is not the safest place to save your images. If you want to be totally safe, get an external drive. From a safety point of view, even the laptop is better (although the laptop wouldn't be directly usable to restore one of the images stored there).
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-04-28),mike21 (2015-04-26)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That method is not practical with an upload speed of about 600 kbps - it would take forever. I do save to an external drive as well - I suppose the better way would be to save to the external drive, plug that into the laptop and transfer that way - then delete the file on the external drive to free it up for the next backup, but perhaps i should get a bigger external drive as well.

Thanks
    You'd be better off just getting a larger external drive, or better yet, getting another internal drive for this sort of thing.

I experimented with a cable a few years back and found it to be impractical...and slow.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike21 View Post
    That method is not practical with an upload speed of about 600 kbps - it would take forever. I do save to an external drive as well - I suppose the better way would be to save to the external drive, plug that into the laptop and transfer that way - then delete the file on the external drive to free it up for the next backup, but perhaps i should get a bigger external drive as well.
    External drives are rather cheap. If you can, keep the existing drive, get a new one with enough storage and then rotate the drives while backing up.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks