Thread: Sorting Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting Files

I'm well aware how to Sort Files by "Name", "Size" etc. but how do I Sort in the order they are stored on the Drive.
    Reason I need this is I Save over 200 MP3 files on a Thumb Drive for playing on a Sound System.
    The songs apparently play in the order they are recorded (not alphabetically or size etc.).
    Occasionally the system stalls (a corrupted file).
    I can establish the Number of the faulty song, so, in Explorer I need to list the files in the order they are recorded so I can delete the faulty one.
    Any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Start with an absolutely clean Thumb drive then Copy the song files in the order you want one at a time. It is tedious but Windows will not usually copy a complete file in adjacent clusters if there's other files on the drive. It may even help to defrag the drive after each copy action which should move all the parts of the file close together. Creating a play list of those files should help in locating a problem song. And it may rely upon how the drive is formatted, e.g. if 4096KB is used a cluster should hold a 3.5MB song. If the song is longer that 4096KB the file will be split into additional clusters, not necessarily adjacent.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Berton.
    I agree with you to copy 1 at a time would work, BUT, with hundreds to be copied as you say "TEDIOUS".
    I'm hoping there's an App out there which will do the job.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts
    Russco,

I don't know your level of expertise but here is a way to get what you want. I'm sure we can help if you can't do it yourself.

• Use the Dir command to route your filenames to a file.
    • Import the file into a program like Excel.
    • Create a new column in excel and number the files in the order you want them played.
    • Sort the excel file on your number system.
    • Create a small excel VBA program to copy the files using the list to a blank USB key and Marking if successful and stopping if not or you could instruct Excel to mark the file as not copied and have it delete the source file and continue. (This could also be done with PowerShell once the list is created)
    • If a failure occures you need only delete the successfully copied rows and the failed one (after deleting the file)
    • Restart the program to finish the copying...rinse repeat.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The utility below will be useful after you have either totally cleaned [?formatted?] or degragged the USB stick.

addendum: copyinorder.exe, from copyinorder.zip
    www[DOT]compulsivecode[DOT]com - exact quote:
    "CopyInOrder - Last updated on 01-26-2011
    A program for copying files onto an MP3player's flash drive, where the order of the songs is determined by the copying order. The program can copy the files automatically, or write out a .BAT file which can be reviewed/modified and then run. Also, the program can remove files from the destination that no longer exist in the source. Just drag some source folders or files onto the program, specify the destination path and the file mask, and that's it."
    --end quote

Disclaimer: I, Roland, have not yet used this utility, so I cannot assure you of its success, try it and report back.
    Last edited by RolandJS; 2015-04-26 at 15:24.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Russco,

I don't know your level of expertise but here is a way to get what you want. I'm sure we can help if you can't do it yourself.

• Use the Dir command to route your filenames to a file.
    • Import the file into a program like Excel.
    • Create a new column in excel and number the files in the order you want them played.
    • Sort the excel file on your number system.
    • Create a small excel VBA program to copy the files using the list to a blank USB key and Marking if successful and stopping if not or you could instruct Excel to mark the file as not copied and have it delete the source file and continue. (This could also be done with PowerShell once the list is created)
    • If a failure occures you need only delete the successfully copied rows and the failed one (after deleting the file)
    • Restart the program to finish the copying...rinse repeat.

HTH

Thanks "RetiredGeek". I'm an intermediate user, but the above is a little beyond me. However your suggestions put me on the right track.
    I used "Dir d:"My Music" /b >MyFile.txt to give me the required list.
    Imported this into Excel which automatically numbered the files in the correct order.
    Thanks again for your help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RolandJS.
    I was able to solve the problem (see above).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by russco32 View Post
    ...so, in Explorer I need to list the files in the order they are recorded so I can delete the faulty one. Any suggestions?
    I know its a bit late, but if you copy them from the command line, and direct the output to a text file, you can see the order:
    copy /y source destn > copy.txt

The /y stops it asking you to confirm any file over-writes (when you try the second time, because the first went wrong!).