Thread: Bonjour

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bonjour

I have found this program on my computer. I have no idea how it arrived but I have uninstalled it 3 times and it keeps coming back.
    Can anyone help me get rid of this unwanted program?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You must have installed iTunes or something similar from Apple. You are not given the option not to install Bonjour when you install iTunes. Your post made me check exactly what Bonjour did; it's something to do with "Apple's implementation of zero-configuration networking" (Wikipedia).

If normal uninstall fails to remove it permanently, try Revo Uninstall.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Bonjour is not required for normal computing and can be safely removed.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not have iTunes on my computer. The only media players I have are Windows Media Player and Windows Media Centre.
    I always use Revo and have used it 3 times.

Thanks
    "Bonjour" is part of iTunes. You can uninstall it if you want but you might find iTunes might not work as expected.

Either upgrade to the latest iTunes, or uninstall all iTunes, Apple, software from your PC then start again (better luck next time).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As previously stated, I do not have iTunes on my computer. Nor do I have any other Apple software.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you Google "can't uninstall bonjour" you will find a lot of hopefully useful links.

Given that you have no idea how it was first installed and it keeps re-installing, it would be a good idea to have really thorough anti-virus and malware scans on your machine, as well as raising the issue with anyone else who has access to the machine in case they can confirm installing it or any other related software.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Older versions of Adobe Creative Suite products (e.g. Photoshop, Acrobat) also install Bonjour: Removing Bonjour for Windows (CS3 only)

Thanks
    While I-tunes is the usual culprit, there are other "non-apple" programs that install Bonjour (or Bonjour Service). For example, Bonjour also gets installed with Photoshop CS3 believe it or not... It gets even more complicated... On Windows XP it is called Bonjour Service. On my Windows 7 it is called #Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762##

I was unable to uninstall it since it would automatically get reinstalled in the background when I opened Photoshop CS3, so I decided to go into Control Panel > Administrative Tasks > Services and changed the Bonjour Service from automatic (default) to Manual. I did this because I tracked down an intermittent lose of my Internet connection to this service automatically loading. (Still not sure why.....but it solved my particular problem).

Perhaps you have another program that uses Bonjour and that continues to reinstall it in the background?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the advice. I run antivirus and antimalware scans daily and no one else uses my machine. I also do not have any of the other programs mentioned. I will try some of the suggested methods for uninstalling if it appears again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I searched through the "Can't uninstall ..." list but there is no problem in uninstalling. I have done it 4 times using Revo and twice using Add/Remove in Control Panel. The problem is that it reappears after every reboot. I have disabled the service so nothing is actually running but I would still like to remove it for good. The only Apple program I had was Quicktime and I have uninstalled that. The only Adobe one is Flash which I need but I stopped it updating automatically. But it keeps coming back so presumably the 'parent' program is still operating. I have not installed any new programs for months except Airdroid for Windows so I will try getting rid of that and see what happens. I hope it is not that because I would very much like to be able to use that with my Android devices.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you Google "Airdroid and Bonjour" you will find that they are indeed linked. I know nothing of either application so don't know if you can one without the other.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes! I have just made the discovery the hard way. After uninstalling both and rebooting Bonjour did not reappear but on installing Aidroid again it reappeared immediately. I have taken p the matter of this sneaky installation with Airdroid but presumably it is required.