5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is it worth considering buying a computer with a low frequency processor such as this one

I need some advice for when an “excellent” deal such as this one is available
    --- So you’ll know its already out of stock but I need a couple of opinions because the price was only available for one day and I don’t tend to make a decision in only one day unless I have at least a decent understanding of what I’m buying

Lenovo B50-45 15.6" Notebook - AMD E1-6010 1.35GHz, 4GB DDR3L, 320GB HDD, 15.6" HD Display, Windows 7/8.1 Pro 64-bit – 59441913 for only 199.99 down from 399.99

On the processor, the 1.35GHz concerns me (It is a dual core processor):
    --- Would it be worth considering and if so how could I reasonably determine that?
    --- I do not have a computer repair business but I have plenty of family & friends who call me and complain about how slow their brand new computer is
    --- Sometimes I check them out but usually there isn’t much that can be done that I’m aware of
    --- Uninstalling bloatware and minimizing startups are helpful but their computers still run on the slow side

jwoods
    I'm not confident in Lenovo as a consumer brand after the Superfish malware incident...

http://www.cnet.com/news/superfish-t...e-than-adware/

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The CPU doesn't seem to be that bad when compared to an i3: http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i...vs-AMD-E1-6010. For a cheap computer, seems quite ok.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A lot of tablets aren't much faster.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This Toshiba Win 7 x64 laptop only has a 1.3GHz processor which I didn't find out about until after I bought the machine - its price (£329) was also its selling point for me at the time and while I don't game, it seems okay.

Win 7 and 8 require a min 1.3GHz so the 1.35GHz should be a little more adequate than mine.

The 4GB of RAM in the Lenovo will help and you could always get a larger HDD if you think the 320GB may be too small for your needs.

Lenovo use to have a good name until the Superfish thing cropped up but it's easy to check if it's still on and would seem easy enough to uninstall, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

jwoods
    You might take a look at the ASUS EeeBook X205TA at $199...

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/lap...eeebook-x205ta

Lenovo complaints go beyond Superfish...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/lenovo.html

Like anything else, do your due diligence before purchasing.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-26 at 19:04.

Thanks
    What will you be doing with the computer? WSL regulars can better advise on whether the possible purchase will or will not do.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Lenovo B50-45 15.6" Notebook - AMD E1-6010 1.35GHz, 4GB DDR3L, 320GB HDD, 15.6" HD Display, Windows 7/8.1 Pro 64-bit – 59441913 for only 199.99 down from 399.99
    That's a "sucker-punch" kind of deal that many people fall for.
    Especially when you KNOW that processor is to darn weak to do anything with.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

bassfisher6522 (2015-04-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for your inputs. The reason I inquired about such an example is because I'd like to be ready for making the correct decision when I see them. There have been times when someone has asked me to help them buy the right computer and my answer always has been "I will only on one condition - I'm not out to spend your money, but I will not help you buy a computer with weak specs" and I follow through on that even when I'm told "but I don't do anything except read my email and look around on the internet". I'm just a simple cmptrgy not an expert but fortunately I've had a pretty good sense of what is involved in buying a computer with decent specs especially since I can ask decent questions right here in WS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    depends what you need to do

you can buy cheap laptops if you look around
    faster ones for under $200 now

Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy View Post
    I need some advice for when an “excellent” deal such as this one is available
    --- So you’ll know its already out of stock but I need a couple of opinions because the price was only available for one day and I don’t tend to make a decision in only one day unless I have at least a decent understanding of what I’m buying

On the processor, the 1.35GHz concerns me (It is a dual core processor):
    --- Would it be worth considering and if so how could I reasonably determine that?
    --- I do not have a computer repair business but I have plenty of family & friends who call me and complain about how slow their brand new computer is
    --- Sometimes I check them out but usually there isn’t much that can be done that I’m aware of
    --- Uninstalling bloatware and minimizing startups are helpful but their computers still run on the slow side