Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts

Win 10 TP Bare Metal Install

Hey Y'all,

I thought I'd document my experience with a Bare Metal install of Win 10 TP 10041 (latest ISO available).

I'll warn you this is going to be a fairly long post...YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I'm installing to my Dell 1564 Laptop w/i-5 430m (Arrandale 32nm) 2.27GHz processor, 4Gb Dual Channel DDR33 @532MHz (7-7-7-20) memory, 256Gb (Crucial M-4 SATA-III 6.0GHz) SSD, Intel HD Graphics.
    This machine currently has Dual boot setup w/2 Win 7-64bit HP SP-1 setup.

First attempt Upgrade install to the one of the Win 7 partitions. This failed with a useless message saying installation failed...No Really!

So I decided to do a Custom Install wiping both Win 7 partitions leaving only my Data partition.
    This proceeded very smoothly with the only glitch being how hard I had to hunt to find out how to set it up with a Local Account vs MS Account. I kept trying options and backing up until I figured it out. It involved options to setup a new MS account then declining to do so. NOT intuitively obvious (or maybe I'm just dense a distinct possibility!).

I immediately set the Update track to Fast and then ran Windows update until done which included 10061. This took about 2.5 hours which I found suprising as it as over a 100Mb wired Ethernet connection (although it may also have been using the wireless connection since it was active) as it longer to do that upgrade on my desktop in VM using a 1GB wired Ethernet connection.

Next I made a few newtwork tweeks like turning off the HomeGroup services and enabling Advanced Sharing so I could now see my NAS and Desktop shares.

So far so good with nary a hiccup!

On to installing my software:

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Successful - Rest of software installed using Revo monitoring.
    Malwarebytes Premium - Successful
    Emet 5.2 - Successful (set to Maximum protection).
    USBDLM - Successful
    Firefox 37.0.2 - Successful
    MozBackup1.5.1 - Successful (Restored my last profile from the NAS and it's just like my desktop!
    Microsoft Money - Successful (Sunset Edition)
    Speecy - Successful
    Logitech Set Point - Successful (Using Wireless Mouse & Kbd)
    MS Office 2010 Pro - Successful (Did a Complete Install)
    Chrome Browser - Successful (Including testing Chromecast on TV)
    Macrium Reflect Pro - Successful (Ver 5.3.7299) (Successfully created Rescue Media on External HDD Partition)
    SyncToy 2.1 - Failed (Couldn't get right NetFranework version)
    FreeFileSync - Successful (Open Source ... works great better than SyncToy!)

Take an MR Image - Successful (Too much work to risk losing!)

Observations:

Win 10 seems to be allowing just about anything Win 8.1.1 does.
    Win 10 seems to me at least a lot snappier on this old laptop that Win 7 was! It has brought new life to this machine and will make waiting for my Skylake Laptop replacement a little easier!

I'll continue in replies with my future installs (quite a few to go) but I wanted to get this out there so it didn't turn out to be as long as I warned you about.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

Update 1:

EverNote 5.85 - Successful
    RoboForm Desktop - Successful
    FoxIt PDF Reader - Successful
    WinPatrol Plus - Successful
    NotePad++ - Successful
    Picasa 3.9 - Successful
    PrimoPDF - Successful
    SharpKeys - Successful

I've also managed to copy over several scheduled tasks and run a quick PowerShell program to change the occurances of the machine/username in the files which then imported into task scheduler just fine. A funny thing though some, not all, opened showing configured for Win 10 TP! While others came up with the same configuration settings that came over from the Win 8.1 machine!

I'm still liking the snappiness of Win 10 on this old laptop. IMHO W10 could hurt the PC manufactures sales when people find out how well it works on older machines.

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still liking the snappiness of Win 10 on this old laptop. IMHO W10 could hurt the PC manufactures sales when people find out how well it works on older machines.
    I have to agree, I put Win10 on a Dell Inspiron 530S that originally came with Vista and a 4-5 year old Toshiba Notebook, both with 4GB RAM and work very good. Only drivers I needed were for my 2 Ethernet-networked HP printers.

Thanks
    Update 2:

Interesting point: The Win 10 TP install found and loaded the driver for my networked Brother laser printer w/no intervention from me at all!

Office 2010 Pro 32-Bit SP-2 - Successful
    Build 10074 - Successful if slow! (However, I can't find the Edge Browser and Spartan has been disabled!)
    (Lucky I have FF & Chrome installed!)

HTH

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    It is, still, in All Apps as Project Spartan. And, also, should be on the Taskbar by default. IE 11 is, still, available, as well.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42913

Thanks
    Drew,

Thanks. I found it in All Apps and it worked so I re pinned it to my taskbar. Originally, the PS icon on the taskbar did not function after the 10074 update so I had unpinned it and didn't think to retry it in All Apps.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Update 2:

Interesting point: The Win 10 TP install found and loaded the driver for my networked Brother laser printer w/no intervention from me at all!

Office 2010 Pro 32-Bit SP-2 - Successful
    Build 10074 - Successful if slow! (However, I can't find the Edge Browser and Spartan has been disabled!)
    (Lucky I have FF & Chrome installed!)

HTH
    I've had no trouble in my VM with Spartan (as far as rendering) since it was incorporated into W10. In Build 10074 it's back to wanting to open only in full screen, and won't "remember" my resizing. It's still called Spartan in mine, not Edge.

After the upgrade to 10074 when I right-clicked Spartan in the Start Menu to pin it to the Taskbar, that option was not available, but when I released the right mouse button, Spartan became pinned to the Taskbar. Interesting.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Hey Y'all,

Anyone know where they've hidden the task scheduler?

schtasks.exe brings up a CMD window that scrolls a bunch of text then goes away. Right-clicking the file shows that it is the Task Scheduler Configuration Tool?
    schtasks.PNG
    What's Up Doc?

BTW: It worked fine in 10061 I had it pinned to start, which of course was deleted by the upgrade to 10074

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You can still use schtasks.exe regardless of the description. It is a command line tool. By default now, executing schtasks with no parameters lists defined tasks.

If you want/require a UI try tasksch.msc.

Joe

Thanks
    Joe,

Tried tasksch.msc in the search box...only search results! However, It now shows up on the All Apps list (under T) which it didn't before.

Funny, It will NOT pin to Start (even though the option is there) but it will pin to the Taskbar! And it gives me the UI.

Isn't Beta software a trip.

Update: I just managed to drag & drop it onto the Start screen from the All Apps list. Weird!

Update2: I just traced the shortcut for Task Scheduler and this is the Target:
    %windir%\system32\taskschd.msc /s

You were right, as always, Joe!
    HTH
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2015-04-30 at 12:26.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    If you just type Schedule Tasks in Search box it comes up straight away.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42925

Thanks
    Drew,

Not on my machine!
    schtasks.PNG

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    > CP All Items > Administrative tools

Find Task Scheduler in the list, Rt Clk & Pin to Taskbar.

I've done it, it works

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42927

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Oh geeeez

why the heck any difference, arrrrr

Attachment 42928

Cheers,
    Drew
    Attachment 42929

Thanks
    Typing (without the quotes) "taskschd.msc" in the search box brought it up for me. Now I'm waiting for it to appear in the All Apps menu. Only 'Travel' under T for the moment.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast