Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Problem While Installing Win7 HP x 64 Bit

This is a newly rebuilt computer with a new PSU, a 2011 Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 ATX motherboard (that was supposed to be working fine), an i7-2600 CPU, 4 x 1 GB of DDR3 ram, a GPU, a used DVDRW drive, and a used Seagate HDD that passes crystaldiskinfo.
    The system posts just fine, and all looks norml in the bios. Both the DVD drive and the HDD show up just fine.
    This mobo has no integrated graphics, no VGA or DVI plugs, so you have to run a separate GPU at all times. i have tried two different units.

What happens is the windows installation files load from the DVD OK, then there is the blue startup screen like normal.
    After all selections are made it goes to the screen where it loads files, then installs files, then there are 3 other steps before installation is complete.
    Almost immediately after starting the file installation step, there is an error screen which says:

"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation."
    The problem is I have no idea what the missing files are.
    I think it is finding the drive OK, because it shows the system reserved partition of 100 MB, and a second partition which is the rest of the drive.
    I think it is reading files off the DVD fine because the initial steps of the installaton go just fine.

Anyone any idea what is happening?

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    What is the origin of the DVD you are using? What is the DVD you are using?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

jwoods
    Try booting from the DVD instead of the hard drive.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    What is the origin of the DVD you are using? What is the DVD you are using?
    The install DVD is a new original Microsoft Win7 HP installation DVD purchased last summer. It has worked before just fine using different product keys.

I am booting from the DVD of course because the hard drive is completely wiped and formatted.
    I tried a different hard drive just to rule that out, same result.

rstew

Thanks
    Have you tried formatting the HDD?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

jwoods
    Sounds like a damaged installation media if it failed on 2 different drives.

If you have a retail product key, download the ISO and create a new install DVD.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried fromatting the hard drive partition; no joy.
    Tried both the original MS install DVD, and a backup copy that I had made, no difference.

The last time I ran into a problem like this installing Win7 was on an OEM motherboard in a rebuilt Acer. It needed some kind of OEM drivers as part of the operating system installation, and I did not have the OEM install disk. I eventually replaced the OEM motherboard to get around the problem.
    I am now wondering if this Gigabyte mobo originated in an OEM system, and its looking for some kind of drivers?
    I purchased the mobo from a local computer recycling outfit, so I have no idea where it originally was installed.
    If that was the case, would reflashing the bios with a generic flash get me back to bare metal?

Thanks,
    rstew

Thanks
    Are you trying to install in IDE/compatible mode or AHCI/Raid - check in the BIOS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    ...there is an error screen which says: "Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation." The problem is I have no idea what the missing files are...
    The "missing" files are almost certainly on the installation DVD.

Whenever I have encountered that error when trying to install/repair-install Windows the problem is the CD/DVD drive failing to read the DVD.

In those cases I disconnected the customer's drive, connected one of my own, and was then able to re-run the install/repair-install successfully.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Are you trying to install in IDE/compatible mode or AHCI/Raid - check in the BIOS.
    Good point satrow.

@ rstew

If you want to run Windows in AHCI mode then it is best to adjust the BIOS setting to use ACHI rather than native/IDE before installing Windows. Can be changed after installation, but it's a bit of a hassle.

ACHI mode is a little faster than native/IDE mode.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Good point satrow.

@ rstew

If you want to run Windows in AHCI mode then it is best to adjust the BIOS setting to use ACHI rather than native/IDE before installing Windows. Can be changed after installation, but it's a bit of a hassle.

ACHI mode is a little faster than native/IDE mode.
    Thanks for the tip. I will check the mode, but I think it is in IDE mode because both the drive and the DVDs drive show up in the bios as IDE devices. I am thinking I will load the default bios settings just to be sure.
    If no joy there the next thing I will try is a different DVDs drive as you suggest.

Thanks
    rstew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Still no joy!
    I re-checked the bios, and reset it to default settings. Checked and drive mode is set to IDE. No dice.
    I tried a spare DVDRW drive instead of the built in one; no change.
    I am checking the bios version to see if there is something newer; but there seems to be trouble with the Gigabyte server at the moment.
    I'll check again later.
    I am thinking that since the hard drive shows up in the bios, and also Windows install shows a system partition as well as an empty partition; there is no need for a hard drive driver to be loaded?? Do I have that right?
    I don't think the GPU needs a driver at this stage, because all that is going on is showing up on the monitor, which is plugged into the GPU DVI port.

I am really grasping at straws here, because I am reaching a deadend at every turn for some reason.

Any other ideas?
    Thanks,
    rstew
    Last edited by rstew; 2015-04-27 at 15:26.

Thanks
    Post #5—Have you tried formatting the HDD?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Post #5—Have you tried formatting the HDD?
    Not a full format.
    i will pull the drive and format it in another machine, then try again.

rstew

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rstew View Post
    Not a full format.
    i will pull the drive and format it in another machine, then try again.

rstew
    Still no joy!
    Today I did a full format of the hard drive on another machine, re-installed, and poof; same problem. It stops at about 1% of the "expanding windows files" section and says it "can't install required files."
    There is an error code given: 0x80070570; whatever that decodes to, I sure don't know.

Just for fun I tried booting using a portable utility 3.5" drive that has Win7 HP x 64 installed, along with a bunch of utility & maintenance software.
    (I use this drive to check basic machine operation before final OS loading.)
    Guess what? It stalled and aborted before it got to the windows opening screen.
    So I am thinking that there is something corrupt on the mobo, or it needs something else loaded first.
    I went to Gigabyte's site and found several drivers for this mobo; including the usual Realtek audio and lan drivers, plus something called a motherboard driver, and another called an intel series 6 chipset driver.
    Is it possible that one or more of these needs to be installed first; and if so, how do you do that without an OS installed?

I still can't find if there is an updated bios for the board. Nothing seems to download from the site.

Anyone got any ideas please? I am at an impass. Thanks.

rstew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast