Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

update problems and other issues

About a month ago, some time after patch-Tuesday, I updated my computer running windows7. Now whenever I turn on my computer from a full shutdown or hibernate, my computer spends about five minutes reading/writing something, but I can't figure out what, and everything freezes while this happens. I have also started getting "Windows 7 Build 7601 This copy of windows not genuine" messages, but when I check Control Panel, System, it tells me everything is active and fine, but I still can't get this months patch-Tuesday updates. I thought there might have been a virus or something but I can't seem to find anything with AntiMalware bytes, Spybot Search and destroy, or Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE also fails to get past System32\catroot2\dberr.txt on a full scan, but I can't get my computer to delete the catroot2 file. I'm not sure if this is one big problem, or multiple problems all happening at the same time. Please help.

jwoods
    This is a known issue that is caused by KB 3004394.

See this article from Woody...

http://www.infoworld.com/article/285...x8004fe21.html

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It was the original version of that update that caused the problems noted in the article when it was offered in December 2014. It was pulled by Microsoft with a repair update released as noted in the article. The original problem was apparently fixed and the update was then released again in February when Susan Bradley recommended installing it as no problems were being reported with the new version.

Thanks
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it doesn't think it's a genuine install, then that is probably why you are having problems.

You can try these manual steps -

First try recreating Licensing Store.

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories

Right-Click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator - accept the UAC prompt

Run the following commands in the Command Prompt window, using the Enter key at the end of each

net stop sppsvc
    (wait until the service has stopped before entering the following lines)

CD %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Ro aming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform

REN tokens.dat tokens.bar

net start sppsvc

slui.exe

After a couple of seconds the Windows Activation dialog will appear.

You may be asked to re-activate and/or re-enter your product key, or Activation may occur automatically.

If you are asked for your Key, use the one on the COA sticker on the machine's case

Reboot.

Or you can download and stick this on your computer http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/val...displaylang=en

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked my update history and I can't find KB3004394 or KB3024777(the fix). Is there a newer update that may be causing this?

As far as reactivating windows goes, when I check the Control Panel, System, I am told windows is active and it gives me the product ID and tells me everything is fine, and there is no re-activate option. Would the product ID change if re-activated windows using the command prompt?
    Last edited by Nygren; 2015-04-27 at 20:09.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Nygren View Post
    Would the product ID change if re-activated windows using the command prompt?
    No.

How did you check for the KB's?

Just to verify, you should be using Control Panel > Programs and Features and clicking on the View Installled Updates link.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-27 at 20:43.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is your clock showing the correct time ?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I checked for the KBs using Control Panel > Programs and Features and clicking on the installed updates link

Yes clock is showing the correct time.

Windows does recognize the product as genuine, and I was able to install 2 of 14 updates from the recent patch tuesday, but the other 12 all Failed. I deleted the catroot2 file as mentioned above, but that didn't seem to help anything.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Where is the post that said to delete the catroot2 file ?

You would normally rename it to catroot2.old as in these commands which you could try by running a command prompt as an admin, but it may give you a fail on the catroot2 part.

You can copy & paste these commands en bloc at the command prompt to save you typing them all out and if any seem as if they are hanging, just press enter.

net stop wuauserv

net stop cryptSvc

net stop bits

net stop msiserver

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old

net start wuauserv

net start cryptSvc

net start bits

net start msiserver

Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder will clear the Update history, but you can restore it by reversing the command.

When done enter exit to close the command window and retry WUs, but are you getting any WU fail error codes ?

You could also check Event Viewer for any Errors with date and time stamps for when the WUs failed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ran chkdsk /R in the command line. It found and fixed some issues with the catroot and catroot2 files, and things seem to be working significantly better now. I can run MSE and all of the updates, and there are no longer long periods of time that the disk is in heavy use.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, that's good news as you should never delete the catroot files

If you are happy then you can use the Thread Tools dropdown to Mark Thread as Solved which will close the thread, but you can come back to it and reopen it should the WU problems return.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, I just did a reinstall of windows 7.1 64bit. I am having a few problems. One is time seems to be off by 5hrs every time I start the machine. I correct it & the same issue happens when it is restarted. One other issue I am having has to do with d/l iso files (experimenting with linux mint usb iso's. Before I reinstalled windows they d/l as a regular iso file, now they are d/l as a iso "archive". I was using 7zip & when I opened/extracted it --- it contained several pieces not the usual iso file itself. Could this be caused by windows updates or do I have an incorrect setting? Use both chrome & firefox to download these isos.

Thanks for your replies,
    g3b

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the clock was okay before you installed Linux then Linux could be the problem.

I've seen this clock thing reported before so did a Google search and came up with http://lifehacker.com/5742148/fix-wi...ting-with-os-x which hope will help.

Other than that, sorry can't help you with Linux/dual booting.

If the clock was still out prior to you experimenting with Linux then press the Windows key and type services.msc and press enter.

Scroll down to Windows Time - click on it and then on Start in the upper left pane and see if that corrects it.

While it is default set to Manual you could try right clicking on it - select Properties and use the dropdown to change it to Auto and then Start.

Just realized g3b, you've hijacked someone else's thread and should have opened your own.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2015-05-13 at 05:22.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    oops! sorry about that just reading through the recent threads/posts and came across the time issue.

g3b

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast