Thanks

Question Links dragged from address bar to desktop have a blank icon

This is annoying. Been happening for awhile now. I'm currently running the latest version of Firefox, 37.0.2 but this started with earlier versions. I've posted and looked at 2 similar threads at the Mozilla help forum for Firefox. The 2 similar threads were of no help. The question I posted (on the 23rd) has had lookers but no response.

This is what I'm talking about.

#1 is how a bookmark drug to the desktop looked like.
    #2 is a favicon.
    #3 is what I get by (Control panel > Default programs > Associate a file type........ > find .URL and associate with FF) which also changes bookmarks (with custom icons) that I have permanently on the desktop. I get the main Firefox icon, not like #1.
    #4 is what the icon looks like when drug to the desktop or saved in the Bookmarks folder(s).

If I manually create an internet shortcut on the desktop, it shows the correct icon, #1. I went in and found IconCache.db and renamed it to IconCache.db.old, then rebooted. No change.

This has gotten really bad. Any bookmarks that I save in the Bookmarks folder have the blank icon. Any link drug to the desktop usually are blank. I have a folder where I store bookmarks that I don't want to save forever, therefore I drag them to that folder or sub-folders. Currently I have 700+ links there. So, right clicking and 'change icon' isn't going to happen. It would take me untold hours to get them looking like #1 in the pic.

Running Windows 8.1 and everything is up to date.

I've done a couple internet searches but get stuff that doesn't pertain to my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

jwoods
    For Desktop shortcuts, you might take a look at Nirsoft's free tool FileTypesMan, which allows you to change default icons by file type (works up to Windows 8...may work for 8.1).

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Firefox bookmarks without icons is a different issue...the favicons and site icons setting needs to be turned on.

In the Firefox address box type about:config

Search for browser.chrome

Two keys need to be toggled to True

browser.chrome.favicons

browser.chrome.site.icons
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-28 at 01:30.

Thanks
    I checked, both are already toggled to True.

Thanks

jwoods
    You might try this add-on to restore favicons in Firefox..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...viconreloader/

However, it could have been an existing add-on that wiped them out.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This could be a trait of v.37.0.2 if it worked with previous versions and reverting to v.37.0.1 or earlier could confirm.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-firefox/old-versions/

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    This could be a trait of v.37.0.2 if it worked with previous versions and reverting to v.37.0.1 or earlier could confirm.

http://www.filehorse.com/download-firefox/old-versions/
    The OP stated in the 1st post...

"Been happening for awhile now. I'm currently running the latest version of Firefox, 37.0.2 but this started with earlier versions"...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    The OP stated in the 1st post...

"Been happening for awhile now. I'm currently running the latest version of Firefox, 37.0.2 but this started with earlier versions"...
    I did miss that bit in the first post but it would suggest that it was a feature that did change in earlier versions and not specific to Odos270.

It depends how far back Odos270 wants to go to confirm.

jwoods
    I know that favicons/site icons work in Firefox 37.0.2 because I turned them off on two Windows 7 systems recently...