Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Unavailable location

Last week I started getting the attached message when I tried to open some (not all) folders. It seems to be folders that I recently created and placed on the desktop. I unloaded some crap from my SSD C: drive thinking that I was running out of space and this was the problem. It wasn't.

Error window.JPG

If I get this error when opening a file on the desktop, I check the properties and it says that the file is on the desktop! So far it happens only on the desktop.
    Can anyone give me some clues on this one?

Chuck

jwoods
    The path is C:\Users\TEMP\Desktop\....

Temporary folders are just that, and that one is likely gone.

If you type C:\Users in either the Search or Run dialog box off of Start, it will show you what folders are available under Users.
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-04-28 at 00:17.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect you have a shortcut on your desktop with this path and when Windows refreshes the view it sees the problem and complains. Check all your shortcuts for that path.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Yes, when I click on that folder on my desktop, the error message appears. Properties for this folder lists the location as C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop but I get a different path in the error message. I still don't get it.

Chuck

jwoods
    So what happens if you enter C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop in the Search or Run dialog box?

Not sure what you did originally, but shortcuts to files reside in C:\Users\...\Desktop.

If you dropped a file or a folder on the Desktop, it would also show up in C:\Users\...\Desktop. The Desktop is really just a folder.

Do a search to find the file or folder, and change the path in the Properties of the icon on the Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am obviously not phrasing my questions properly and I apologize for that. I also want to thank you for spending your time helping me.

When I search for C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Desktop, I get a listing of all of the shortcuts on the desktop as well as the systems folders which includes: libraries, Homegroup, ChuckS, computer, Network, control panel, and recycle bin. I do NOT get a listing of the folder in question (Discover Statement) or any of the other folders that actually reside on the desktop.

I did a search on the Discover Statement folder on my desktop and to my surprise there were no matches! Why is that?

Chuck

Thanks
    In the search box type (without the quotes) "%userprofile%\desktop" and tell us what you get.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get Desktop.
    When I click on the search result I get: computer>SSD [C] > Windows > System32 > Config > systemprofile > Desktop

The Discover statements folder is there and opens properly!

Huh!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Your PC configuration is shot to pieces - maybe not pieces but it's not well. Your desktop should always be in C:\Users\YOU\Desktop. Having it under system32 is not correct and likely to cause problems.

Can you check that you correctly ran bbearren's command?
    1. Open Windows Explorer.
    2. Click in the address box, not the Search box. Address box is in the middle, Search box is on the right of the Address box.
    3. Type: %userprofile%
    4 You should get a view like this.

cheers, Paul
    Capture.PNG

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul,
    Here are the views when I typed %userprofile% on drive C: and the same thing when I did it on drive e.

C:profile c.JPG

Chuck

Drive E

profile e.JPG

I was running out of space on C: and moved a bunch of stuff to E:
    All of my programs are short cutted to the Desktop from drive E:

Does this help any...

Chuck
    Last edited by rsolly; 2015-05-02 at 21:27.

Thanks
    It appears that your user profile is corrupt. There shouldn't be a TEMP folder in the Users folder.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    It appears that your user profile is corrupt. There shouldn't be a TEMP folder in the Users folder.
    Correct. Have seen quite a few customers who had the problem described in this M$ article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

If the OP looks at the registry keys, etc., in the article it might explain the problems OP describes. Might also explain why OP was low on freespace on the SSD if there is a corrupted user account present.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK guys, if I am reading this correctly, I should create a new user and move my data to that user? I can do that as long as the user has admin rights, correct?
    Coochin, I don't understand how that microsoft article relates to my problem. Can you elaborate?

Thanks
    Looking at your screenshots it seems you have a user named TEMP !

Try this, press the Windows button and R at the same time, it should bring up a run dialog box, type netplwiz and hit enter. What does that show?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rsolly View Post
    OK guys, if I am reading this correctly, I should create a new user and move my data to that user? I can do that as long as the user has admin rights, correct?...
    Yes.

In Windows contexts "TEMP" (or "temp", "Temp", etc.) is a keyword. Using "TEMP" for a username risks unexpected results because some programs might assume that the content of a folder named TEMP, in this case your C:\Users\TEMP folder, is intended for temporary storage and can be changed/deleted/moved etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rsolly View Post
    ...Coochin, I don't understand how that microsoft article relates to my problem. Can you elaborate?
    The M$ article in my #12 post relates to a problem some users experience when Windows fails to load the user's profile (user account) after the user attempts to log in; in such a case Windows disables the affected user profile and creates a new temporary user profile named using an ID with a ".TEMP" suffix.

The M$ article describes how to modify certain registry keys to restore access to the affected user profile; it also details an alternate method which involves creating a new user account and moving the data to it.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast