Lounger
    Thanks

Post Need help with Themes and Styles

I'm trying to create a theme for a document with Word 2013. I thought I had a theme created (a slow process, updating each of the styles I wanted to use) and saved, but when I load the *.thmx file or .dotx file, nothing seems to change, and the changes I'd made before seem to be gone. So, I guess I need a mini-tutorial on themes, style sets, styles, and so forth. Can someone here provide this, or point me at a good existing one?

Thanks!

--Scott.

Addendum: I want two themes, one being the theme for the final document, and the other one being a diagnostics theme, which will emphasize the layout so that I can more easily tell if the document design is correct. So, I plan to use one to edit with and one for production use.
    Last edited by Scott McNay; 2015-04-28 at 00:01. Reason: Fix "autocorrect", added addendum

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A theme can control the colours and/or default typefaces but doesn't change styles directly. A style-set is more 'fully featured' since it controls much more attributes associated with a large number of styles. Changing a style-set is effectively the same as attaching a different template and refreshing the styles.

Changing theme, styleset or template MAY have an effect on your document but this depends entirely on how your content is styled and on the differences in those styles between the two styleset/templates. None of these have any effect on actual content, page layout settings or header/footer settings.

This is a large topic and I'm not going to try to address this with oodles of instructions because I don't know what you don't know already. Pages like this essentially tell you nothing useful in terms of creating your own stylesets but they do form a part of the picture which you need to consider.

Can you be more specific with your questions so we can address them directly?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did some more reading after posting that, and I feared someone would say something like that. Anyway, I want to replace Heading 1..9 with indented numbered versions, and I also want inline versions of the same which can either provide more detail (after an inline style change) or can be used when indexing is not needed. Black text, uniform font and font size. Plain text style should rarely, if ever, appear.

I'd like this to be something which someone else can easily import to use on other documents, although I know a lot of work would be needed to convert an existing document to use styles. Existing documents don't use styles or even auto-numbering. I created a list style which mostly does what I want, but it doesn't include indexing. It appears that I'd have to do away with the list style in order to do what I want.

--Scott.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I would suggest you simply develop two templates with your two different looks and choose to apply the other template to your document when you want to change the look of the document. This can be automated with a macro pretty easily. For example, if your templates were called 'TemplateA' and 'TemplateB' then a macro to flip between templates might look like this.
    Code:
    Sub ToggleTemplate()
      Dim strTemplateA As String
      Dim strTemplateB As String
      Dim sPath As String

sPath = Options.DefaultFilePath(wdUserTemplatesPath) & Application.PathSeparator
      strTemplateA = "TemplateA.dotm"
      strTemplateB = "TemplateB.dotm"

With ActiveDocument
        If InStr(.AttachedTemplate, strTemplateA) > 0 Then
          .AttachedTemplate = sPath & strTemplateB
        Else
          .AttachedTemplate = sPath & strTemplateA
        End If
        .UpdateStyles
      End With
    End Sub
    The macro should be stored in your Normal.dotm template since it needs to be independent of the 'attached template' in order to be available when the template is not attached.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, it looks like Outline View will do most of what I was wanting for a diagnostics view. So, my current problems seem to be creating the styles properly and saving them so that someone else can use them.

--Scott.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Is it possible for a paragraph style to have small caps set, but linked char style to not have it? If so, how?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you really sure you want linked char styles?

It doesn't look like the character attributes of a linked character style can differ from the parent paragraph style. This could be completely wrong because I make it a practice to never use linked char styles but my initial testing points this way.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What are the pros and cons of linked styles?

--Scott.

Thanks
    I know no pros of using linked styles. I guess they are quicker, but they can create a mess.

See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...g20072010.html.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks
    Looks like just what I need!

I'm sure I'll have more questions later! :-)

--Scott.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm now using header-linked listed as described on Shauna's site. Generally, I want a title for each item, with regular text following on the same line.

At present, I do this by typing the title, hitting Enter, typing the text, then going back to the end of the title and pressing ctrl-alt-Enter, then changing the text Style to Normal. This seems a bit clumsy. Is there a better way to do this?

Sometime, I just want an un-indexed list of items. Do I need to create a separate multi-level list for this?

--Scott.