New Lounger
    Thanks

how to give a child account access to all games

Hi guys,
    I need your help. My kid is a game addict and when I make his account a child one, he keeps asking for admin password.
    I need to limit his daily gaming while not wasting time giving him my pass. Really fed up with his tricks.
    Please help.

Thanks
    Hold fast, yield not. Apparently, many games require downloading and installing with close-to admin rights. Maybe set up a half page form to be filled in before you wander over and type in the password yourself?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. The games asks for admin permissions and when he gets it, he makes himself admin. Aint no way to petmit him open his fav app without being full rights admin? Thanks

Thanks
    Well, once the game's installed, it should not take admin rights to play said game. Are some of these games online games? My guess is onlines should not require admin access.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Online game access can be curtailed by limiting time on the internet. The easiest way is to set time limits on your internet router - assuming your router is recent vintage.
    Offline games are easily curtailed by taking the computer away.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Paul, OP also is seeking a way to limit son to nonAdmin rights during the game times. Earlier, I suggested having the son fill out a half-page form [eliminates most of the impulse "gottaHaveThis!" behavior], brings it to his dad, who then goes over to the computer and inputs admin access to allow download/install. However, that all needs to go through UAC, correct?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may not need UAC to install a game, it depends on the game. Without knowing why the admin password is required we can't really offer any extra help.

cheers, Paul

jwoods
    You can set time limits in Family Safety...

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html

Seems like he should be coming to you (the "Administrator") to get approval for downloads and installs. That way you are screening what he gets to play, and protecting the security of your computer by determining if it is safe to install (after scanning the download for malware).

He doesn't install anything, you do...so he wouldn't need Adminstrator rights for his account.

For playing games, you could set security permissons on individual programs by right-clicking on the executable, selecting Properties, and clicking on the Security tab. You could assign his account Read & Execute permissions only for a program (game).

Good luck!
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-01 at 01:42.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What sort of age range child are we talking about here? I ask because older children are often given more latitude and the suggestions may vary by age.

On the other hand, if you're serious about "Really fed up with his tricks", well then there's a simple answer. A severely locked-down account and a response of 'No' when faced with requests for the Admin password or new software.