New Lounger
    Thanks

re: Auto-AutoFormat when switching Document Map on ((Word97 & 2000)) - CAUSE AND SOLUTION

Hopefully i wont get booted for posting this, but I saw someone had an issue and i had the solution. I decided to join Win-Secrets to post my solution and THEN it decides to tell me THREAD CLOSED.

Rant follows: So somebody decided to close an "old" thread - but the problem is still existing (and probably wont get fixed) therefore the tread should still be open (and probably indefinately). SO im going to post my solution anyway (its the advice given to others anyway, make a new topic) - its kind of double important because i also have the way to cause the bug (microsoft are you listening?). If you close threads because you dont want people making an old thread appear on the top of the list, what you do is you prevent old threads from appearing on the top of the list (or provide a seperate list for old threads revived), not prevent people from posting solutions in the future (altough a warning that "people will not give quick help to old threads, and a new topic will be better if you have an individual problem" will be advised).

Old thread link is here:
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...d97-2000%29%29

How to cause bug Q180594:
    • although microsoft does not seem to have bugs posted anymore..
    • steps apply for Word 97, Word 2000 may be similar, someone could check it

1: add a Table of contents.
    2: insert continuous sectionbreak between your document and the TOC.
    3: set the table of contents section to be double column (you can fix the tab stops later)
    4: save,exit,reopen, bug exists

• yes you need steps 1-3.
    • if you go to the trouble of fixing the individual problems it creates, if it has to recalculate (for example you werent using the doc map for a while) it will break AGAIN.

How to solve all the individual problems at once (without damaging your formatting from reapplying the style):

1: Ctrl-A to select all
    2: rightclick and choose paragraph
    3: under "outline level" choose "body text", and OK. And no, that does not damage the headings. the document map is restored.
    • note: because it breaks sometime after you manually fix, i suspect it will still break again, i dont yet know how to force a recalc to check.

Enjoy.

Cb.

Thanks
    The closed topic is 13 years old.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The difference is that Google has referenced that topic.

Anyways,
    My solution seemed to encourage Word to recalculate every time you load the save file and mess it up (after you have closed it, reload something else then come back). I did try adding a section before the TOC and put some level 1's there and it did seem to stop it but that stopped working

Alternately:
    Someone named Klaus Linke also made a macro to redo each paragraph individually to the correct level:

Dim myPara As Paragraph
    For Each myPara In ActiveDocument.Paragraphs
    myPara.OutlineLevel = _
    myPara.style.ParagraphFormat.OutlineLevel
    Next myPara

When i did mine manually it did last a long time so this should be the same.
    Last edited by Charlieb000; 2015-04-29 at 21:40. Reason: Another section break...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlieb000 View Post
    The difference is that Google has referenced that topic.
    It would be unusual if Google didn't cache a webpage.

Thanks
    Another solution is to not use the Document Map for editing.

This is a known bug. It is apparently built into the structure of the Document Map feature. It was fixed in Word 2010 when the DM was replaced by the Navigation Pane which does not cause the same problems.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin