New Lounger
    Thanks

Machine not shutting down

Good evening Gents, I've had a problem arise 3 times in the last 2 months with my Win 7 ultimate not shutting down correctly. I get the first shutdown screen ( the one where it shows any running progs) then it goes to the 'shutting down' screen, then I get a message, similar to the one you get when it is doing updates. It says 'Operations are in progress, please wait. The machine will be turned off automatically after the operations are complete'. The problem is, it never completes. I have waited over an hour and in the end I have done a reset as the machine is locked to this screen. From the reset the machine starts ok. I did leave it one evening and when I looked at it the next morning it was still 'doing operations'. That was 6 hours later! Does any of you Gents know what the 'operations' are?

jwoods
    Do you use Acronis True Image?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi jwoods, I do have True Image installed. It is set to do an image of my C drive at 8pm every Thursday. The last time I had the shutdown problem was last Sunday about 2am.

jwoods

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

blacksmith (2015-04-29)

Thanks
    jwoods, there is a way to either reschedule or cancel this scheduled imaging?
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/window...-not-shut-down

I alter the registry to force a shutdown of any app after 2 seconds. I think 12 seconds is the default.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-speed-up.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thankyou very much for this info jwoods. I see my problem now after reading the links you quoted. At least I know what is causing the message. I'll monitor it and either find a way to solve it or get rid of True Image. It seems I've wasted my money on this dodgy programme.

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by blacksmith View Post
    It seems I've wasted my money on this dodgy programme.
    Not necessarily...there was a solution in post# 5 in the Acronis Forum link above.