Thanks

msconfig not "holding" changes

msconfig not "holding" changes
    Recently, I had to go into Avast to re-TurnOff Grimefighter, Software Updater, and so on.
    I'm wondering if Grimefighter fiddled before I caught it.
    msconfig will not hold the changes I made, even though I do the enable this, enable that, enable the other, Apply, Ok, restart. The next few retries & successive sessions, I find the same stuff still unchecked in Services area.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    MSConfig is for troubleshooting purposes, it shouldn't be used as a permanent fix for auto-start problems as it might impact on System/boot repairs at a later date. Better to use the program settings themselves (or Autoruns) to prevent them from loading at source.

If you're seeing Avast settings changed, ensure that on each program update to Avast that you use the custom install option to uncheck any extras and again, once the update has installed, check those settings in Avast.

Winpatrol (free or paid) can help you control auto-starting programs and is preferable to using MSConfig, it will also popup a message soon after any change has been made, this should allow you to pinpoint the trigger and allow you to block it again.

Thanks
    My std acct is admin level; from SuperUser: Start, msconfig, right-click on it, Properties,
    Security, Everyone -- checkmark for full control. I'm saving if needed.

Satrow, I'm at work, will try your advice above when at home on home desktop
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Thanks
    "...If you're seeing Avast settings changed, ensure that on each program update to Avast that you use the custom install option to uncheck any extras and again, once the update has installed, check those settings in Avast..."
    Avast is set to autoupdate program and data. Maybe I should switch it to manual only? 'Cause I don't always notice that update...manual will force me to notice.

Thanks
    Yes, switching to Manual/Custom will enable you to keep a closer grip on what's allowed to be added/changed.