New Lounger
    Thanks

Fiber optic to ethernet

Good morning All,

I have a customer building a main house plus two guest houses and I need to get network connectivity from the main house to the guest houses. Total conduit (already in place) distance is about 800 ft, the longest run between manholes is right at 300 ft.

Could use cat6 and put in two switches at either end of 300' underground run but that seems like a problem waiting to happen. 1st switch in the server room, 2nd switch in manhole, 3rd switch in manhole, 4th switch in the guest house. Nah, too many switches and points of failure.

So I am thinking ‘run fiber’, but I have zero experience/knowledge with fiber. Can someone point me in the right direction and help me come up to speed? (And NO, he does not want wireless point to point.)

When I look at 1000’ spools of cable I see multiple choices and my ignorance is showing. Multimode, Single mode; 2, 4, 6 ‘strands’ etc. What the heck do I need? Is a ‘strand’ a single connection and 2 strands gives me 2 1gb ports?
    http://www.computercablestore.com/In...catID4445.aspx
    (cable does not have to come from this site, I just happened to goog into here)

Who makes a good reliable ethernet to fiber adapter? The switches are Netgear Prosafe gigabit.

And what tools do I need to terminate the fiber? Can I get custom length cable pre-terminated cable so I don’t need any tools?

All tips appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick

Thanks
    Hi Patrick, you might want to check whether powerline adapters will work in that scenario, it depends on how separated the individual property power feeds are. A cheap pair to test with might only cost $30-35.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks satrow,
    powerline wouldn't work here, the install is on a small island in the Caribbean, 208v distribution system. Plus I tried powerline a few years ago at my house and was not impressed.

The island location is also the reason I need to get every thing right and tested before I ship it. The nearest electronic supply house is in Miami and if the airline gods are with you, that is a one day trip at least. <grin>

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Fibre termination is notoriously tricky and you need a transmission tester to confirm you have made a successful termination.
    I'd run copper and use something like this extender, unless you are happy to pay someone to do it for you.

cheers, Paul

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

LostTheBubble (2015-04-30),satrow (2015-04-30)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh Yah. That works, thanks Paul.

I didn't know about that family of extenders.
    The money is certainly correct too, Fiber maybe $700/1000', RG6 maybe $70/1000'
    He is already pullng RG6 for TV signals, we will just pull another one.

Thank you,
    Patrick

Thanks
    And always leave your leader/pull cord in and running another will be a snap. If you go w/ switches maybe you should look into Power over Ethernet.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    ...Power over Ethernet.
    Crikey!
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    And always leave your leader/pull cord in and running another will be a snap. If you go w/ switches maybe you should look into Power over Ethernet.
    I'm waiting for Power Over Fiber Optic. ;-)
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    I'm waiting for Power Over Fiber Optic. ;-)
    That's called overhead cable!

cheers, Paul