Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mail Merge (Word 2000)

How can I get the If..Then..Else insertion tool to print a symbol instead of text? Excel97 is the data source for a catalog document being printed in Arial. I'm trying to get it to print the checkmark available in Monotype Sort, but the 'then' and 'else' windows in the tool will not accept pasting from the clipboard.
    All suggestions gratefully received!
    Peter

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge (Word 2000)

Hi Peter:
    I don't know much about Excel, so I'm not positive whether you can insert a graphic during a MailMerge from it. I know that with older versions, you couldn't. However, if you're checkmark in Excel is a graphic file, you could replace the graphic with the actual filename & path of the graphic.

For example, suppose you have an Excel field with the name "checkmark". In the mail merge main document, you could have:

{ INCLUDEPICTURE "Drivefoldernamefilename{MERGEFIELD "checkmark"}" * Mergeformat }

Then when you did the merge, the filename would be merged in an INCLUDEPICTURE field, & that field would load the graphic. You could nest that field in an IF...Then...Else field, if still necessary. Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks

Hi Peter,

I don't do much with mailmerge so am guessing, but...

Try creating the field you want with xxx instead of the symbol. Then, once the merge document is created, turn on display of fields (Alt-F9) and edit the field directly to use your symbol instead of the xxx. Then switch the field code display back (Alt-F9 again).

For more than I know about mailmerge (and that's a lot) follow the links on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/wordwebresources.htm#mailmerge> my web resources page (mailmerge)</A>, especially Cindy Meister's series of articles.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Chas -- this fix works like a dream. Many thanks for it, and for your thoughtful inclusion of the links to your site and beyond. Invaluable - and already bookmarked.

I have mined the links as best I can to try to solve another problem, which I'm about to post as a new question. Apologies if the answers I need are buried somewhere in the links: I may not have got the proper MS mindset in the way I pose search questions ...
    Peter

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Once you're comfortable with the field codes you've used in the merge, select the one (braces, the works) you used for the check mark and change the font. Obviously, you'll now see the entire field code in that symbol font, but the merge will then work ok with the checkmark.