New Lounger
    Thanks

Lenovo LaVie Z or Carbon X1 3rd Gen Ultrabook?

Hi Guys, I'm interested in getting a new notebook, one that is lightweight and is very easy to carry around. I read about Lenovo's new LaVie Z the so-called "lightest" notebook. And I was thinking if this is a good buy or not? Brand new price starts at $1,699.99 which is somewhat expensive. But I saw a site where I can get it for as low as $1409.

I guess my second option would be the Carbon X1 (3rd Gen) which was actually my first option. Not to mention, the Carbon X1 is cheaper as well. I need something fast and very portable. Most tasks I do are documents and photo related stuff. Let me know what you think guys. Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by ruirib; 2015-05-03 at 08:04. Reason: URL removed - not necessary

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Lenovo's official starting price seems to be 1,499 (at Lenovo's own site).

I don't like the fact that the drive seems to be a regular one, not a SSD, for a laptop that starts at $1500. The Carbon X1 has a SSD, which seems more in line with the price bracket. You get a much better processor than the Carbon X1. That said, for the purposes you want, an i5 or an i7 should not be too much of an issue. From the Lenovo site, it seems the LaVie is sold with 8GB, which is much better than the 4GB of the Carbon X1.

It pretty much goes down to choice. If you have the budget, the LavieZ does seem a more future proof option, even if by a small margin. At the cost of SSD's these days, you sure can get the LaVieZ and replace the disk by an SSD and get the best of both worlds... but it does depend on your budget.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Manufacturing rule number something or other.
    Choose any two of the following:
    Low Weight
    Small Size
    Low Price

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    Lenovo's official starting price seems to be 1,499 (at Lenovo's own site).

I don't like the fact that the drive seems to be a regular one, not a SSD, for a laptop that starts at $1500. The Carbon X1 has a SSD, which seems more in line with the price bracket. You get a much better processor than the Carbon X1. That said, for the purposes you want, an i5 or an i7 should not be too much of an issue. From the Lenovo site, it seems the LaVie is sold with 8GB, which is much better than the 4GB of the Carbon X1.

It pretty much goes down to choice. If you have the budget, the LavieZ does seem a more future proof option, even if by a small margin. At the cost of SSD's these days, you sure can get the LaVieZ and replace the disk by an SSD and get the best of both worlds... but it does depend on your budget.
    I have a couple extra SSDs, so it's not an issue. But the LaVie seems like a good choice. Too bad there are no full and detailed reviews yet. I think I am going to wait just a little bit.
    Last edited by LenMargaux; 2015-05-03 at 15:32. Reason: spelling correction

Thanks
    I have a couple extra SSDs, so it's not an issue.
    You'd better confirm that you can actually use those SSD's in any purchase you make...first and foremost.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2015-05-04)