4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"imaging" terminology

I'm a little confused by the various terms used in the Lounge relating to back up imaging.
    References are made to image files, system images, disk images, full images etc. and I want to know if I have it covered.
    I want to be able to reinstate my whole computer set-up in the event of a failure and have installed Aomei Backupper for that purpose.Back up options provided by Aomei are File Backup, System Backup, Disk Backup and Partition Backup.
    Please advise which I need to be able to do a full reinstall in the event of a failure?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The answer is always, it depends.

A system image is just the files and disk configuration required to restore the operating system.
    A disk image is everything on the disk. IMO this is the best option because you can restore everything as it was, or just some bits if you want. This assumes you have sufficient space on your backup drive.
    A partition image is an image of part of the disk. Unless you know exactly what you are doing this is not for you.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The first thing to do is create a recovery disk. Use the option to create a Windows PE boot disk. It will allow you to access your back up if Windows becomes inaccessible. You can create a disk image, but my preference is to use the clone option. Either way, store it on a separate hard drive. If the hard drive fails, you can just replace it with the clone.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A clone is an exact copy of one drive to another. An image backup achieves the same result but saves the data in backup a file(s) until you want to restore.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, it is now a little clearer, other than the introduction of "clone"
    I have a 1TB external drive with plenty of free space and have created a Windows PE bootable disk on a USB memory stick.
    Just to clarify, if I go for "Disk Backup", then the operating system would be included in that back up and would not need to be backed up separately as a "System Image"?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, Disk backup includes everything.

Make sure you can boot from your USB stick before you find you need to recover your data.

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Trev (2015-05-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Yes, Disk backup includes everything.

Make sure you can boot from your USB stick before you find you need to recover your data.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for the clarification, I'm now sorted, other than how to test if the USB stick will boot
    Is there an easy way without restoring an image, I'd rather only have to do that in an emergency.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Plug the stick in and re-boot, press F12 (usually) several times during the boot and choose the USB device. Booting from it will not affect your normal boot / Windows.

cheers, Paul

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Trev (2015-05-03)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, much appreciated.