Thanks

Word 2010 error opening downloaded file

My daughter is taking classes online, and there is a file (attached) showing dates for submission of assignments on the db that was constructed in Word. But when she tried to open it, she got the error below.

I tried recovering but that didn't work. Is it possible that the file was made in Word 2013 and that is the issue? I was able to open the file in Wordpad and copy the text, so it isn't a complete loss, but the issue is a bit problematic.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Word-error.jpg

Dates 1502A.docx
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The file opens with no errors in Word 2013 but it says it is in 'Compatibility Mode' which implies it was created in an earlier version that Word 2013. The file is only one page and I saved it in Word 2013 format and have reattached it here. You should be able to open this but if not, let me know and I can simply post the text contents.
    Dates 1502A_v1.docx
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    It worked fine with my Word 2010 but as Protected, did have a yellow bar at the top of the page to Enable Edit mode. Same for the one by Andrew.

Thanks
    Berton / Andrew;

It wouldn't open for me at all. I was able to open in WordPad and extract the info, so that isn't an issue. I am concerned though, that all of a sudden this error occurs. I tried a repair install of Office, but that didn't seem to help. My Word seems to work fine otherwise, and the download process must be OK as well, since the upload to the board worked.

What the heck could be causing this? Do I need to uninstall and re-install Office?

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Since you mentioned it opened in Wordpad the presumption must be there is a problem with Word. Before uninstalling I'd go to Control Panel, Programs and Features the click on Office then choose Change, leave out the one app you don't use and see if it gets repaired.

Thanks
    I'll give that a shot.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks
    I dunno what the heck to do. I just re-installed Windows 10 and Office, and I still get the same "protected" error I was getting before on that file. Usually a re-install will at least take you back to "normal." Not this time. You all are able to open the file I uploaded. Why can't I? What the hey would cause that type of error message????

Chuck

Thanks
    OK, I was able to get into the file byfollowing a post I found:

Turn off the protected view in Word then try to open these files and check how it works.

To do so, open Word > File > Options > Trust Center > Trust center settings > Protected view >under protected view uncheck all the options and check what happens.

Also try to open files from SkyDrive within Word application and check how it works.

You may refer to the article below on how to Work together on Office documents in SkyDrive:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/we...102625039.aspx

So now my question is:

After doing this, have I opened myself up to any problems?

Regards,
    Chuck