Thanks

Thumbs up Win8.1: Want to see picture, not icon of program opening it

Hello,

When pointing to a picture file, an Excel spreadsheet, or a Word document, on Windows Explorer, what I want to see on the visualization panel (the right most panel of the window), is the picture, the spreadsheet or the document, BUT NOT the icon of the program which opens the file.
    How can I do this?

I appreciate any help that can be given to me.

Regards,
    Flores
    Both me and my Windows edition speak brazilian portuguese.

Thanks
    Open the folder containing the file. Click on the View tab and select Preview Pane. It will then show a preview of the document if one is available when you highlight the document or picture by left clicking on it.

Thanks
    Flores, click on view in file explorer, then options, and the view tab. Go down the list and tick 'Show preview handlers in preview pane'. That changes from a file view to the icon view by not having it ticked.

Note that Office files don't show (but then I have 2003 and it might be different on newer versions).
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-05-04 at 15:56. Reason: Improved terminology

Thanks
    I have Office XP and W8 does preview the files.

Thanks
    Any ideas as to why mine aren't being viewed?

Thanks
    The only thing I can think of is that the folders are not correctly optimised for the contents. Right click on the folder and choose "Properties". Click on the "Customise" tab and go to "Optimise this folder for". Match the optimisation to the contents using the drop down menu.

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, but my folders are already optimised as suggested. I can see the contents of PDFs and text files, just not Word or Excel files. I can live with it. Having 'Show preview handlers in preview pane' unticked means I see the icons and ticking it the contents, as long as they aren't Office files. That also includes odt files as well.

I hope it works OK for the OP

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    @access-mdb

I don't think that Office 2003 had the preview handlers required for viewing the files in File Explorer.

Joe

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2015-05-04)

Thanks
    See what I mean?

See what I mean.jpg

I'm using Win8.1 PRO with Office2010.
    It does not happen when using Win7 on my other notebook, with the same Office 2010.

Where do I check if Office 2010 has the preview handlers required for viewing the files in File Explorer?

Regards,
    Flores
    Last edited by amflores; 2015-05-04 at 19:26.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Office 2010 definitely has the preview handlers. Your default program for opening JPG files does not have the handler.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amflores View Post
    ...I'm using Win8.1 PRO with Office2010.
    It does not happen when using Win7 on my other notebook, with the same Office 2010...
    The icons in your screenshot are from Picasa (Google), which must be associated with image files.

Right-click on one of the files that has that icon then left-click on "Open With". Look for "Choose Default Program" (or similar), then choose which program you want to use to open files of that type.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Picasa does have the handler as it's my default program and the pictures show. Flores, did you check the option I mentioned above? I can swap between pictures etc and icons just by changing that option, see my screenshots
    ticked.PNG
    unticked.PNG

Pictures seems a bit different, sometimes the first option on the options view tab (always show icons never thumbnails) gets ticked. But this stops pictures appearing in the main window.
    Last edited by access-mdb; 2015-05-05 at 04:38. Reason: more info

Thanks
    Right-click on one of the files that has that icon then left-click on "Open With". Look for "Choose Default Program" (or similar), then choose which program you want to use to open files of that type.
    Hello Coochin,

Your help worked just fine.
    Thanks a lot,

Flores

Thanks
    bPicasa does have the handler as it's my default program and the pictures show. Flores, did you check the option I mentioned above? I can swap between pictures etc and icons just by changing that option, see my screenshots
    ticked.PNG
    unticked.PNG

Pictures seems a bit different, sometimes the first option on the options view tab (always show icons never thumbnails) gets ticked. But this stops pictures appearing in the main window.
    access-md,

Yes, I checked the option you mentioned.
    What was missing was to associate image files with Picasa and other image programs.
    Thanks for the great help.

Flores

Lounger
    Thanks

Alt-p to toggle the Preview Pane on and off

While in File Explorer, press the Alt+P keys to toggle to show or hide the preview pane.
    The preview pane will show a thumbnail of any(?) picture/graphic file (BMP, JPG, GIF, and so on). It will also show PDFs, as well as Office files like .doc, .docx, .xlsx and so on and on and on.

The Details pane will show what program is set to open that file, as well whatever details it has for that file.

You can drag the left border of the preview or details pane left and right to increase or decrease it's width in File Explorer.

If you set the preview pane to show, then it will replace the details pane if it is currently showing, and vice versa.

The icons for both panes are almost the same. the Details one shows three lines of "text".
    This is the Preview Pane: Preview Pane.jpg and this is the Details Pane: Details Pane.jpg.
    Attached Images Attached Images