4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unknown File Folders

I have some File Folders in my C drive that I canít figure out what they are. I assume that they are some kind of virus, very cryptic names and nothing that makes it clear what they do. I am going to try and delete them but I wanted to check first and see if anyone knew what they might be and whether or not I need them.

They are:

173bc81203228f6ca231be182ac7a28a & af51bb230b36883b3f148fcabaac46d0

They both contain 1025 file folders, with names like 1025, 1033 & 3082 and Graphics, VC_Red_x64 & VC_Red_x86. There is a generic Setup.exe and several other files with no identifying names. When I try to open any of the folders, I get a message that I donít have permission to view this folder and I need the Security Tab.

They were both created on 2/10/15, so I am sure it had to do with something I downloaded on that date but I have no idea what that would have been.

I have not tried to Delete them yet, so I am hoping that I don't get into some Security tangle when I do.

If anyone has any insight on these, I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Thanks
    It's a Windows update which went pear shaped.

Try using Windows update again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Browni For This Useful Post:

donebb (2015-05-04)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Browni. Not sure what it means to go Pear Shaped but I'm guessing it's bad.

I checked Windows Update and I had some updates that were stuck. I re-downloaded them and 1 completed. The other one was for Office 2003 and I ended up having to download that manually and update it. Now Windows Update, which I had set to Automatic, shows that I am up to date. Doesn't it seem like if it is set to Automatic, when 1 fails, the system should tell you? Just wondering.

Do you think it is OK to delete these 2 folders? That must be what they were put there from. Thank you.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just about every system that is actively maintained has folders like these. Want to see lots more? Navigate to C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\Temp. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in the C:\Windows folder as well, though my current system is clean at that location.

It all relates to software installs that don't clean up after themselves. Why they do this is a bit mysterious, but failed installs is one good explanation.

Most people ignore these files/folders. They are not in locations that many people spend time with for one thing. For another, disk space is cheap and plentiful these days.

However there's another reason too. You can delete them but the problem is linking the folders to some more meaningful name or concept like "Adobe Acrobat". Another issue is temporal, as it's not safe to delete such objects while they are actually installing. Yet how do you ensure no software is updating or installing?

The numbered subfolders you saw are language codes. These are seen in any software that is internationalized and uses the Windows locale identifier (LCID) system for multi-lingual language identification.

All that said, it's probably safe to attempt deletion of these. If you want to maximize your safety, enter Safe Mode first. And make a backup before you give this a go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    Thanks Browni. Not sure what it means to go Pear Shaped but I'm guessing it's bad.
    Apologies, not everyone will will know UK slang

Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post

It all relates to software installs that don't clean up after themselves. Why they do this is a bit mysterious, but failed installs is one good explanation.

<<snipped>>

All that said, it's probably safe to attempt deletion of these. If you want to maximize your safety, enter Safe Mode first. And make a backup before you give this a go.
    ^^^

What he said

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I tried to delete this file from File Explorer by selecting it and clicking Delete.

I got a box called Folder Access Denied. It stated:
    "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder"

and gave me a choice of Continue, Skip or Cancel. I chose Continue.

It looked like it was going to delete it and then the box popped up again and this time it stated:

"You need permission to perform this action.

You require permission from System to make changes to this folder"

The folder is named 173bc81203228f6ca231be182ac7a28a and I am the Administrator.

What do I do now to delete this? Thank you.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You are the administrator but you are not System.
    If the folder is in the root of C: then you can happily delete it, but you may need to Take Ownership first.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I changed the Ownership to Administrator but it still shows that System has control. Also, when I look at the size of these folders, they show 0, so I guess they really aren't doing anything but it's like having empty bags lying on the floor. It just bugs me. Thanks for your help.