2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

continual restarts

A pc wont shut down, it just continually restarts. I have swapped the c: drive for an older one (both win 7 boot drives) which has not been connected since before this problem started', but this made no difference, so I suspect a hardware issue.

The problem started on an occasional basis - did not always happen, and when it did a few commanded shutdowns (actual restarts) where enough to produce a shutdown - but now it's rock solid, never shuts down. A complete de-power cycle made no difference. Anyone got a clue as to what could cause this?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Tap F8 (usually) as you switch on to boot up into the Advanced Boot options and use the cursor keys to select Disable automatic restart on system failure and press enter, but while in there, instead select Safe Mode with Networking to see if the computer works in that mode.

Selecting the Disable auto restart will probably give you a BSOD but with a Stop Code.

Posting the Stop Code will help to diagnose the problem when no doubt, Satrow will pick up your thread.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

CLiNT (2015-05-07),satrow (2015-05-05)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I agree with petermat, swapping the boot drive for another older boot drive and encountering the same problem rules out an OS/driver/app or boot drive problem.

It is a hardware issue. A bad one because it stresses the system pretty badly.

You haven't added anything recently or opened the case have you before the problem started?

If the case has a reset button make sure it is not stuck by removing the header temporarily.

Short, PSU or MB/CPU would be my guess. I would strip the components out of the case to rule out a short to case. Set it up to run in a minimal configuration on an insulated surface ("bread boarding"?). Do a minimal build= MB+CPU+PSU+keyboard+1 stick of RAM. Video card if onboard not available. See if system continually reboots (even without a boot drive)?

If no, then add one component back at a time and finally any other peripherals until the problem appears. If it is a short to case then everything should work until you put everything back in the case. However, hopefully you already inspected everything including the inside of the vacated case to look for issues when you first pulled components out of the case.

If yes, then you could swap in the other RAM stick. Change its position to the slot it was not using. Then it is a matter of trying other components if you have them starting with a different known working PSU.

You can actually try running without any RAM present or any CPU. System should boot up and beep its bloody head off (no video). But it should turn on. Unfortunate I am not certain what you learn as I don't know if you would detect the cycling.

I would suspect a MB over the CPU if you do not have a working system you can test the CPU in or another CPU you can test in that system.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2015-05-05 at 21:32.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

RolandJS (2015-05-06)

Thanks
    I guess in Windows the Power Button option had been set to power down, so that can't be it. I'm old school, I like the thorough advice given by Fascist Nation!
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Even though it doesn't look like software, it might be worth trying a Clean Boot and see if the problem still exists.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Jerry

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the above - the pc in question is currently in a corner waiting attention, so there will not be a quick answer here - so please don't think I am ungrateful. In the mean time Jerry's answer is pertinent and I will try it - and it answered a different query I had on another forum!! I suspect Fascist Nation's advice is the appropriate one - so I just have to set 10 minutes aside to go for it!!(?)

Thanks
    I thinkk Sudo has it in post #2

Track down the BSOD if any.,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Browni View Post
    I thinkk Sudo has it in post #2

Track down the BSOD if any.,
    I second you on that Browni.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.