New Lounger
    Thanks

Convert WORD-Doc to a CMYK-compatible file (Word2000)

We have a 20 page WORD2000 doc including some pictures in RGB color format.

Our issue: The print shop needs files with the colors in CMYK format. How to convert it?
    To put it differently: CorelDraw-Files have CMYK color information. How to convert a WORD file into a Corel file?

I looked an the office download site, but there was no converter or add-in that I could see.

I would appreciate any hints.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert WORD-Doc to a CMYK-compatible file (Word2000)

You might try saving the Word doc as an HTML doc.
    That will produce both PNG and JPG images.

Dunno whether those use RBG or CTMK, but you could then open the PNG or JPG file in some software that might be capable of using CMYK.

Microsoft Photo Editor offers a bunch of alternatives, perhaps some use CYMK?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I would try to save the file into Adobe Acrobat. You would need to own Acrobat, or know someone who does. It is well worth the investment and the print shop will most likely be overjoyed to receive the file in that format.

The printer drivers will take care of converting the RGB graphics into CMYK without getting it too wrong. The print shop owns the printer driver so you should not have to worry about the colour conversion of graphics yourself. They might moan as it takes the RIP longer to image the graphics when it has to convert the colours but I would be very surprised if they couldn't actually handle it. The extra time should not be too great with only 20 pages.
    ========= Edited as an afterthought ==============
    Now that I look back on this post, I think what you were actually asking is how do you print colour separations from Word. The answer is, unfortunately - you don't. You may have to convert the file into a page layout program such as Pagemaker, InDesign or Quark Express. If you did have an Acrobat version of the file with high resolution bitmaps then you can import the pages into Corel Draw (it does have filters for PDFs).

Print houses normally invest in software that can make process colour separations from otherwise inseparable files. One such program is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.lantanarips.com/>Lantana's Crackerjack </A> although there are others. Any print house worth it's salt would have such a program to convert something as common as an Adobe Acrobat file and output it as colour separations.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Andrew, for your helpful post. What we actually did was, as you suggested, to convert it into an intermediate format. Since the Adobe PDF conversion didn't really work with Corel Draw, we used postscript generated by a color printer driver. Corel then had to handle some thousand objects but didn't falter. We then handed it to the print shop in Corel Draw format. So far they didn't complain.

Sven Scheuch, Hannover, Germany