Thanks

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware v2.1.6.1022

Earlier I installed MBAM v2.1.4.1018 on a customer's PC to run a scan. The check for updates before launching the scan downloaded/installed v2.1.6.1022
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

jwoods
    I've been using 2.1.6.1022 since its release...no issues.

https://www.malwarebytes.org/support/releasehistory/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

1PW (2015-05-06)

Thanks
    The Malwarebytes' CDN servers are throttling out the MBAM 2.1.6.1022 automatic updates since its general release.

If you wish to do an over-the-top upgrade earlier/now, you may always download from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam/.
    Last edited by 1PW; 2015-05-06 at 13:22.

Thanks
    Question: I am on the free version 2.0.4.1028. I assume that the free version does not check for version updates only database updates, is that correct? I can find nowhere in the program to update to a newer version.
    If that's the case, do I need to manually get newer versions every time?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Question: I am on the free version 2.0.4.1028. I assume that the free version does not check for version updates only database updates, is that correct? I can find nowhere in the program to update to a newer version.
    If that's the case, do I need to manually get newer versions every time?
    The free version has a "Check for program updates when checking for database updates" at Settings, Update Settings. Update Options which is checked by default.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

1PW (2015-05-06)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I'm running the free version and got the update automatically on a system a couple nights ago.

Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    The free version has a "Check for program updates when checking for database updates" at Settings, Update Settings. Update Options which is checked by default.
    Yes it does have that checked but evidently it's not finding any new versions for some reason.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Yes it does have that checked but evidently it's not finding any new versions for some reason.
    Everything in post #3 above prevails. Some users will need to wait weeks before they are offered the upgrade. If you have not had any particularly recent & troublesome experiences with MBAM2 Free, you can still wait for the throttled upgrade or you may upgrade now.

The maintenance release upgrade to v2.1.6.1022 fixes these:

"Changes included in this version since MBAM 2.1.4:

• Fixed crash during Heuristic Analysis phase when scanning
    • Fixed SDK database load errors by making a change to temporarily ignore the "Check for updates before scanning" setting for Scheduled Scans (this is just a short-term work-around until permanent fix can be implemented)
    • Fixed crash when editing or removing an Access Policy if the name and description fields in the policy were different
    • Fixed issue where the "Restart computer when required for threat removal" setting did not appear correctly on Add or Edit Schedule dialogs
    • Updated end user license agreement"
    If you still feel you need the latest maintenance release, by all means go to the download URL in #3 above for your peace of mind.

Best wishes and cheers.
    Last edited by 1PW; 2015-05-06 at 15:20.
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

Thanks
    Thanks 1PW.
    Since I'm not having any problems with the old version, guess I'll wait.
    Interesting though, that it looks like there have been a number of newer versions that haven't downloaded to my computer.
    From 2.0.4.1028 ( current ) to 2.1.6.1022.

Thanks
    Hello lumpy95:

Since you have the free edition of MBAM2, I believe it's statistically unlikely you will query for updates/upgrades as frequently as the default automated scheduling in the Premium edition, and thereby (IMO) reducing the mathematical chances of a throttled upgrade.

HTH

jwoods
    I use the free edition and it tells me when program updates are available as well as database updates...

You might try a clean install by first using the Malwarebytes Uninstall Tool, and then download and install a fresh copy...

https://support.malwarebytes.org/cus...are-?b_id=6438

https://www.malwarebytes.org/products/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-06 at 16:22.

Thanks
    Hello jwoods:

IMO there's probably nothing wrong with lumpy95's install of MBAM2 unless undisclosed issues have not yet been brought up. That is the way Malwarebytes' currently has the CDN server's throttling set. While waiting for a throttled upgrade to 2.1.4.1018 (from 2.0.4.1028) a new release is made of 2.1.6.1022, then that throttling queue is reset.

The MBAM Clean Removal Process potentially won't harm that system, yet a few MBAM2 application settings may need changing and histories/quarantines will be deleted.

BTW - IMO the more detailed MBAM Clean Removal Process, from the Malwarebytes' forums, is potentially safer than the Help Desk version.

An over-the-top manual upgrade will still retain that system's on-demand scanning histories/quarantines.

HTH - Cheers.
    Last edited by 1PW; 2015-05-06 at 17:35.
    All viruses are malware but not all malware are viruses and if the malware doesn't self replicate it just isn't a virus.

Thanks
    I just thought it odd that I see other people posting that theirs updated but mine never does. As I said, I have no problems with the database updates or running the scans, all seems to run fine.