Thread: Shrinking SSD?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Shrinking SSD?

My apologies in advance if I posted this in the wrong area.

About 6 months ago I purchased and installed a 480 GB OCX SSD, having first cleaned up and cloned the original C: drive to the new drive. Clicking Start/Computer showed that the size of my drive was 448GB total of which nearly 200 GB space was available. I've been very happy with the performance improvement.

Fast forward to today. I went to install a new game and surprise!, I don't have enough space to install it. I uninstalled a number of games I no longer use and then clicked Start/Computer. Now the total size of my drive is 321GB of which roughly 85GB is available. I am at a loss to explain this sudden "shrinkage" and I'm curious to see if anyone else has ever experienced this problem.

I use System Mechanic. It seems unlikely to me, but could its use have a bearing on this issue?

Thanks,
    Frank

jwoods
    How often are System Restore points created, and how much total disk space do you have allocated to it?

Some additional info on freeing up disk space...

http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-wa...ce-on-windows/
    Last edited by jwoods; 2015-05-06 at 00:24.

Thanks
    How many downloads of movies, video, pics, etc are on this computer, that can add up quickly. SRPs, such can be deleted except for the 3-4 most recent SRPs; ditto for Registry Backups.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you post a screen shot of Disk Management so we can see where the space is being used?
    Disk Manager: Start > Run, diskmgmt.msc
    Posting the screen shot: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...206#post999206

cheer, Paul

Thanks
    Use a utility like Tree Size to see where the space is going:
    http://www.jamsoft.net/treesize_free/

Jerry

Thanks
    The size of the SSD should not have changed.

Is your SSD running in AHCI or IDE? You can check your BIOS to find out.

If it is running in AHCI, is TRIM enabled on your SSD? To find out, open an elevated Command Prompt (right-click and select Run as administrator) and type (without the quotes) "fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify". If the response is "0" (zero), TRIM is enabled. If the response is "1", it is not.

If TRIM is not enabled, you can enable it in the elevated Command Prompt by typing (without the quotes) "fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0" (zero). You can run the query again to confirm.

If your SSD is running in IDE mode, TRIM is not supported.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    That's a good question. I haven't had to run a System Restore in years. In fact, I have it turned off. Every couple of weeks I copy the SSD to the original HDD as a backup. I also boot from the original HDD to make sure it's working properly, just in case the SSD fails at some point.

Thanks for the link, I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by jwoods View Post
    How often are System Restore points created, and how much total disk space do you have allocated to it?

Some additional info on freeing up disk space...

http://www.howtogeek.com/125923/7-wa...ce-on-windows/

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a second much larger hard drive where I put all my documents, pictures, etc. I only have games on my C: drive because that is where Steam is installed. I keep only the games I'm currently playing and delete the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    How many downloads of movies, video, pics, etc are on this computer, that can add up quickly. SRPs, such can be deleted except for the 3-4 most recent SRPs; ditto for Registry Backups.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Shrinking SSD?

Paul,
    Your message reached the crux of the matter. If I had only done the diskmhgt command I would not have had to post a message and I'd still have some of my pride left. :-(

I ran the command as you suggested and sure enough, there's the missing 125GB of space, labeled as System Reserved. . Now I have to wonder what I might have done to set the drive up like that, and whether I even saw the drive size as 448GB to begin with. What I'll probably do is perform another backup to my HDD, and then see if I can resize the SSD partitions with GPARTED. If worse comes to worst reformat the SSD and then re-clone the HDD to the SSD.

I appreciate everyone's help. Maybe next time I'll have a real puzzle to be solved.

Regards,
    Frank
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Can you post a screen shot of Disk Management so we can see where the space is being used?
    Disk Manager: Start > Run, diskmgmt.msc
    Posting the screen shot: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...206#post999206

cheer, Paul

Thanks
    It would also depend, to an extent, upon HOW you install your games.
    With some games it's preferable to install many hundreds of MB worth of easily accessible data, as opposed to
    having it read from the CD/DVD drive every time you play a game.
    Your SSD will always be faster and therefor your gaming experience will reflected that.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdcaver View Post
    Paul,
    Your message reached the crux of the matter. If I had only done the diskmhgt command I would not have had to post a message and I'd still have some of my pride left. :-(

I ran the command as you suggested and sure enough, there's the missing 125GB of space, labeled as System Reserved. . Now I have to wonder what I might have done to set the drive up like that, and whether I even saw the drive size as 448GB to begin with. What I'll probably do is perform another backup to my HDD, and then see if I can resize the SSD partitions with GPARTED. If worse comes to worst reformat the SSD and then re-clone the HDD to the SSD.

I appreciate everyone's help. Maybe next time I'll have a real puzzle to be solved.

Regards,
    Frank
    -
    The MSR partition (System Reserved) should be in MB, not GB. In an elevated Command Prompt open DISKPART and give the MSR partition a drive letter, then in Windows Explorer see what's in it.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows