Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

jv16PowerTools & Autoruns replacing msconfig for tweaking

jv16PowerTools & Autoruns replacing msconfig for tweaking
    Taking advice of others, getting completely away from using msconfig as a startup/services tweaker,
    I need the clicks within jv16PowerTools [pay for version] and/or Autoruns to:
    -- disable a startup, not delete it, simply disable from cranking up
    -- disable a service, ditto as above
    I need to "park" AVG modules awhile. Not uninstall it, not delete modules, simply keep them from cranking up.
    I was in a super hurry to get on time to work, I don't believe I did a good job with either jv16PT or Autoruns.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    msconfig was always intended as a diagnostic utility. Autoruns was designed to give full access.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../bb963902.aspx

If you use the Find facility, which is under the Entry tab, you can easily find every key relating to the program you want to modify. Autoruns must be run as Administrator, otherwise, when you make a change, it will refuse and ask you to run it as Admin.

Thanks
    Ok, I'm in autorun's services -- if I want to disable [but not delete] aardvark.exe, I simply uncheck the checkbox to its left, correct? If correct, another question, I can't seem to locate the Startup tab in autoruns.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    The StartUp tab in Autoruns is called Logon.

Joe

Thanks
    Thanks guys! Hey, what about those boxes with checkmarks? If I uncheck a particular box, that EXE to its right is disabled, but not deleted, correct?

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Thanks guys! Hey, what about those boxes with checkmarks? If I uncheck a particular box, that EXE to its right is disabled, but not deleted, correct?
    Correct.

Here is a tutorial on Autoruns from How-To Geek...

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysi...o/lesson6/all/

Thanks
    downloaded as web site complete, thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The StartUp tab in Autoruns is called Logon.

Joe
    True but look at Winlogon and Scheduled tasks as well.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    True but look at Winlogon and Scheduled tasks as well.

Jerry
    Also Boot Execute and AppInnit.

Best to study everything but selecting the wrong driver/service to uncheck can lead to big problems, take care in there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would be interested to know if you have tried the latest jv16 X. It's a 60-day trial if you care to give it a shot, and you can leave your existing version in place untouched.

They claim that it provides a much faster start-up after their optimization (it's said to be compatible with all Win, from XP to 10 so far), and I would be interested to know how they are achieving it in light of your question and the answers given. ('Worried' is more accurate than 'interested', since I happen to have it.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dogberry View Post
    I would be interested to know if you have tried the latest jv16 X. It's a 60-day trial...
    Website says it's 30 day trial, i gave it a little over 30 minutes: it's not fit for XP, let alone anything higher - install and use at your own risk.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Website says it's 30 day trial, i gave it a little over 30 minutes: it's not fit for XP, let alone anything higher - install and use at your own risk.
    Strange. I have used jv16 since Fred Langa wrote an article comparing registry cleaners quite a few years ago; jv16 topped Fred's results. As far as I recall Fred's article was back in the Langalist Newsletter days.

I have used jv16 ever since with great success. In fact, dealing with the results of customers attempting to "fix problems" on their computers using certain other "system optimizer/registry cleaner" utilities (including one that is very popular in WSL) has convinced me that jv16 is still tops in that field.

Note that I do not advocate running this kind of utility unless you have a thorough understanding of what you are doing.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    A few things that really annoyed me: it flagged up the default locations for the User 'Special' folders for 'fixing'; failed to create any backups on activating any of the tweaks; in one section, it began deleting/uninstalling all programs when I had only selected 2 - the 2x default Windows Mail entries (simple to remove in Autoruns).

Thanks
    Perhaps I should expand on my #12 post.

Most times when I use jv16 it is to clean the registry of invalid entries after I have removed virus/rootkit/malware/PUPs infected "objects" (often hundreds, sometimes thousands) from customers' computers.

Less often I use jv16's uninstaller to uninstall software that fails to uninstall using XP's "Add-Remove Programs" or later Windows' "Programs and Features".

Occasionally I use jv16's startup manager, but only if the problem cannot be fixed using Autoruns.

I have ran jv16's optimiser function a few times on my own systems but have not allowed it to perform any of the suggested "fixes" because I didn't believe those "fixes" would make any real improvement. I have not had cause to run the optimiser on any customers' computers. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Versions: since some time in 2014 I have been using "jv16 PowerTools 2014" v3-2-0-1354. About March 2015 Macecraft.com released "PowerTools X" (v4-0-0-1475) but I decided to wait before trying the new version. Earlier today I rec'd an email from Macecraft.com that they have now released an updated version of "PowerTools X" (v4-0-0-1487). I have since downloaded the new version, but have not yet tested it (that might take a week or more).

I might further venture to suggest that "testing" a 2015-released program on a 2002-released OS (XP) is hardly fair. Surely a "fair" test of the latest jv16 should involve Vista/Win7 or later?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    I tested it on a 10-day old install of W7 Pro SP1 x64, the XP reference was specifically aimed at the 'invalid' Registry entries which are the default locations of the 'Special folders'. These folders have been 'special' since XP, had I allowed it to remove them, it might have meant me having to manually move and replace them, should it be required at some point in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast