5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Patch Watch update: Cleaning up April's leftovers

PATCH WATCH

PATCH WATCH

Patch Watch update: Cleaning up April's leftovers

By Susan Bradley

Most of Microsoft's attention is likely focused on Windows 10, which might explain why we've seen updates for Windows 7 and 8 dribbling out the past month. Some of the updates have a clear agenda: preparing our Win7 and Win8 systems for the transition to Windows 10.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/patch-watch-update-cleaning-up-aprils-leftovers/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2015-05-06 at 16:35.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the further report, Susan.

Updates that I've been offered towards the end of April but which aren't mentioned by you so far as I can see are:-

2965299 (stated to be for Office)

2876229 (stated to be for installing/upgrading Skype so is therefore presumably a matter of individual choice)

Does anyone have any experience or views on these please? They're all listed as optional.
    Last edited by Tandor; 2015-05-07 at 06:27.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a comment, it was all I cold find.

I want to be able to use Susan Bradley's Update list as a guide for what to install and on what to wait. It is very difficult because she does not list the items in number order, Microsoft does not either, so it is hunt and peck one at a time. This gakes way too much time and effort. We cannot control what Microsoft does; but Susna Bradley could easily control the order in her list.
    >>RSM
    Are you a cruncher?
    Please visit
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMitnick View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post a comment, it was all I cold find.

I want to be able to use Susan Bradley's Update list as a guide for what to install and on what to wait. It is very difficult because she does not list the items in number order, Microsoft does not either, so it is hunt and peck one at a time. This gakes way too much time and effort. We cannot control what Microsoft does; but Susna Bradley could easily control the order in her list.
    If you want to manipulate the list, select the text, copy it into Excel and go at it.

Joe

jwoods
    You might just download her publicly shared spreadsheet...

www.patchchart.com

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jwoods For This Useful Post:

ComputerGranny (2015-05-15),Spokes (2015-05-18),unkfrank (2015-06-25)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The optional update 3048671 (mentioned by Tandor above) is for an issue where several windows are displayed in multiple applications at the same time. The description ( https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3048761/ ) says that "This issue occurs because [a] memory leak occurs in Desktop Window Manager (DWM.exe) when a window changes its parent window in an application." It seems to me that an update that stops a memory leak should be at least recommended, not optional!

I leave my work PC running constantly and I have experienced problems over time with Windows suddenly slowing to a crawl then becoming unresponsive, and it usually locks up completely soon afterwards. Although I do not like doing so, I have no choice but to switch off the power to get it going again. I think that I am going to try this update...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patermann View Post
    The optional update 3048671 (mentioned by Tandor above) is for an issue where several windows are displayed in multiple applications at the same time.
    Just to clarify, that update is 3048761 (not 304671) and is still showing as optional, although apart from 2876229 (the one for Skype and which remains optional) the other April optional updates for Windows (not sure about the Office one I mentioned above, haven't checked my second machine with Office installed yet) are now included in the important May updates.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am getting KB 3020369 on a couple of my computers. I noticed it is blank in the "okay to install" column on Susan's patchchart. I can't seem to find any information on it. Anyone know the status?
    Thanks

jwoods
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I am getting KB 3020369 on a couple of my computers. I noticed it is blank in the "okay to install" column on Susan's patchchart. I can't seem to find any information on it. Anyone know the status?
    Thanks
    KB3020369 corrects an issue created by KB2189745 on Windows Server 2008 R2.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

Thanks

Angry Susan'sd suggestion for adding search providers

KB 3038314 was April’s cumulative IE patch. It’s critical to install all IE security updates, but April’s was especially so — it fixed vulnerabilities publicly revealed at the recent Pwn2Own hacking contest.

Unfortunately, the update did not go well for all Windows users. ....

What’s more, other IE users discovered that they couldn’t add additional search providers after installing the update. At this time, it’s unclear whether Microsoft is working on this issue. Making things even more confusing, Microsoft apparently reissued the update on April 22, though there’s no information in the update’s information pages to explain why.

I tried Susan's above suggestion without success. It appears Microsoft has indeed implemented Project Spartan mentioned elsewhere on the web.

Charles

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.

Arthur Schopenhauer
    Last edited by csmart4125; 2015-05-20 at 20:15.