5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 build 10074: What's new, what's unknown

TOP STORY

Win10 build 10074: What's new, what's unknown

By Woody Leonhard

With the recent release of build 10074, Windows 10 Technical Preview should be nearing the feature-complete phase. But while there's lots to see in the latest build, there's also much that's still unknown.

Here's a look at what's new, what's been killed, what's likely, and what's still obscure.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story/win10-build-10074-whats-new-whats-unknown (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Lounger
    Thanks
    At the end of your article, you state, "if the new OS ends up being a, uh, "service," there'll be no need for a final, fully finished product."

I think this blog post (http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwin...ws-windows-10/) makes that very clear:

"We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet.
    And just like any Internet service, the idea of asking “What version are you on?” will cease to make sense – which is great news for our Windows developers."

As a developer of apps for Windows, I don't herald this as great news, but rather a harbinger of things to come. Maybe things will get better for windows development, or maybe windows dev will start acting more like the slushy landscape of web development. That we will need to do things differently is patently obvious - we'll have to start coding for "features", just like in web dev. When you start your app up, can you use the new 128-bit libraries, or must you use the 64-bit counterparts? Can you leverage the hew holographic tech, or gracefully downgrade to plain 3D renderings?

The times, it has been said, are a changin', but that doesn't mean I need to like it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd liked to think that one of their major focus's is security. I didn't see any mention of that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows 7 allows you to do a full system image backup. Then, using a "rescue CD" restore the backup, even on another drive installed in the same computer. Being able to restore the entire system has been a godsend to me dozens of times. Windows 7 also has the ability to resize, create partitions, which is great should you have a multi-terabyte hard drive. These tasks I've done many times. In fact, it was Woody that taught me how to do them. Are these abilities available with Windows 10? If so, how?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Woody said, "The Start menu retains its now-familiar layout (Figure 1), with a Win7-like list of programs on the left and fancy live tiles on the right."

Sorry, that is incorrect. There is *no* "Win7-like list of programs" on the left. There is a list of Most Used programs like Win7, but that as far as it goes. If you ask for 'All Apps' it gives the same god-awful alphabetic program list that Win8.1 gives. No folders, no categorization. I don't even see a way of re-sorting it to types or most recently installed, at least (and I really mean at least) Win8.1 gave you that.

I want the *folders* of programs (or links) back! The example I give is trying to find the DVD burner program you know you installed, but can't remember the name but know that "CD" and "DVD" isn't in the name! How the heck are you supposed to ask Cortana to run that program. You'll know it if you see it, but looking through a list of 200 to 300 items (all with their pretty, touch-sized icons!) is not going to cut it.

Windows 7 will be the new XP. If Microsoft wants to go down the road to mobile only apps, they can do that; even Apple (!) knows better than that. OSX <> iOS! When one has to use third-party aps to make an OS useable, there is trouble ahead.

I am well aware why Microsoft is doing this (Phones/Tablets are selling, Desktops aren't) but I can't understand why Microsoft is turning away from business and their needs. A server doesn't need touch, or big live icons, or voice recognition.

I guess they don't want to go the way of IBM, but I think the alternative is going the way to Blackberry. :-)
    -bb

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From build 10074 - Image backup was "deprecated" in Windows 8.1, but you could still find it. I found image backup through the control panel (not 'settings' - which MS is trying to replace the control panel with) and 'System Image Backup' is still there. (control panel / system and security / file history)
    But no searching found it - I doubt MS will keep it, too old school. (Do you backup your Tablet or Phone? No! everything is in the cloud.) Maybe third-party utilities will come to the rescue.
    The disk management tool is still in build 10074, but again, it's the same version that is in Win7. Who knows if it will survive - do you format partitions on the tablet?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    People are talking about the Start menu having glass and shading, but the elephant in the room is functionality. It has the power button in a bad place (likely accidental click). It emphasises "Most Used" programs, which are obviously already going to be on your taskbar. It hides Windows Accessories programs, which I use, but foregrounds apps,, which I never use. It keeps some things like "Documents" fixed in place, which I never use. Bottom line is that that The Start button/menu was the most criticised aspect of Win8/8.1, yet they still aren't close to getting it right. It needs extensive customisability.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Who ever heard of a service being free in the business world, at least over time? What other Microsoft services are free vs. paid? My assumption of their point is that Windows as a service will be like Office 365, a paid service. Hope I'm wrong.

Ken Kashmarek
    All of this is moot. Windows 10 is no longer, and being replaced by ... Windows. No more version indicator (10, 8.1, 8, 7 et al).

Once on Win10 (yeah, how many are really going to do that), all change will be forced upon you. Your choices are soon to be limited to EXACTLY what Microsoft makes FOR YOU.

Long term, I suspect what it will cost users is a choice that Microsoft will make for you as well. Then, like now, you will either pay or get off their bandwagon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect they are going to a 'rent' process like adobe photoshop is now- Yup- either pay monthly extortion fee/ err I mean rental price, or leave, seems to be the direction companies are now going in- it used to be that the customer came first- now we've moved into a 'company first customer an afterthought it seems- I hope this is not hte3 intention of Microsoft too-

Martin- I too hate the new style of start menu- I just want text based links in the menu like windows 98-7 have- and I certainly don't want tiles floating all over my desktop- just want the shortcut icons like before- small, quick, convenient - Everytime windows updates, it takes me forever hacking it to get the look I want- I don't want some programmer deciding what I for me- constantly changing things on me, forcing me to have to relearn the program over and over again-

One other concern, are all the aps going to be 'phoning home' to Redmond to inform them whether they are up to date or not? Used to be you could turn off this phone home behavior, but seems like companies are implementing phone home processes now that can't be turned off/disabled- I don't want to be moving to a cloud based system either (another major reason I didn't upgrade to adobe CC)- is that the direction MS is moving? I certainly hope not

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    All of this is moot. Windows 10 is no longer, and being replaced by ... Windows. No more version indicator (10, 8.1, 8, 7 et al).

Once on Win10 (yeah, how many are really going to do that), all change will be forced upon you. Your choices are soon to be limited to EXACTLY what Microsoft makes FOR YOU.

Long term, I suspect what it will cost users is a choice that Microsoft will make for you as well. Then, like now, you will either pay or get off their bandwagon.
    Now it makes sense that ms will upgrade previous versions, i.e. 7, 8, and 8.1 for "free." In my part of the world, nothing is free.

Thanks
    Well it looks like Microsoft is going to force us to go to a place a lot of us would rather not go eventually. There is a reason I do not use Apple products because their attitude is use what we give you and you will take it when we give it to you and you will love it. I don't play that way at all. I like OPTIONS and CHOICES.

I am also not a fan of anything in the cloud either. I want my programs/files on my desktop/external harddrives where I have access to all of them. I know I am old school, but they call it a personal computer for a reason.

I work on my desktop computer every day and as of yet have not found a need for the use of a tablet or much of a real use for a smartphone (although I do have one). So not everyone is going the way of the tablets and smartphones, although I know a lot of people are. But I need something I can work from and with and so far my desktop is the one thing that can do all that I need it to do.

Automatic forced updates on Win10 is the big killer for me though. With Microsoft's track record of late with their updates, being forced to take them as soon as they come out is going to leave some people with bricks I am afraid. They just don't have a good record when it comes to issuing good updates the first time out.

I am sticking with Win7 for as long as I can and just wait and see what happens. And to think I was waiting to purchase a laptop after Win10 came out... not now.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yep, I hate the cloud/privacy issues, the app-ification of Windows, the start menu, the reduction in personal control. The one thing that previously distinguished Windows was easy customisation.

However, I see two reasons why Win10 might be a success for MS:

1. Tech writers loving the new features. I can see this happening all over the net. I call it Feature Fascination. They will come out in praise for the final version by highlighting the new features, and the punters will swallow it, especially since some of the new features are good.

2. Consumers loving convenience. Look at the ludicrous level of privacy invasion happening now. Google and Facebook knows everything about us and uses that info to target ads according to our personal idiosyncrasies. It's like soul-sucking. If we were told up-front that this was the plan, we wouldn't have accepted it. But it's been a gradual erosion of privacy that succeeded due to it being covert and the products being convenient and "free". It's getting to the point of The Matrix becoming real. We're all getting plugged in slowly. HoloLens and OneDrive might one day replace reality!