Star Lounger
    Thanks

The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open

I am trying to run windows backup in windows 7 pro using an external 5tb hard drive. I select the folders I want to backup and start the backup. I get the message-"The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open."

What does this mean and how do I fix this?

Thanks,

Mike

jwoods
    Could be that Windows, another program you might be using during the backup, or your AV/malware software has a file locked.

If the Volume Shadow Copy service is turned off, you may want to turn it on.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do you know what file is causing the problem?
    Windows uses VSS (Volume Shadow Copy) to take a snapshot of the files before the backup. Check the Event Log for VSS errors.
    As jwoods suggested, open Services (Start > Run, services.msc) and scroll down to Volume Shadow Copy. Check the startup type is set to manual.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked under more information and it said the backup location could not be found. I am assuming this is the external drive. I selected this drive when windows asked where do you want to backup to. Volume shadow copy is set to manual also. Could Norton utilities have interfered with the backup? It was running when I came back to check my backup and saw the error.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows backup seems to require a lot of spare space to backup. How much spare do you have?
    Alternatively, use one of the free backup programs as they tend to be easier to use than Windows backup.

cheers, Paul